Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Brick House" what kind of bass was it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 8, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    It sounds like a P Bass to me but I am wondering if any of you all know for sure what it was?

While I am at it how bout "Let it Whip" by the Dazz Band...it sounds like a Stingray to me?

Scott

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe Ronald LaPread played a P-Bass. A lot of folks believe he slapped that entire bassline but I saw him play it back in the day and he only did the occasional 'pop'. Probably a Stingray or 'Jazz' on 'Let it Whip'. That tune also had a synth bass as the lead and the bass slaps and pops were added.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey DW, thanks I think you are right about "Brick House" too. I am pretty sure that he used his fingers for a portion of that line. I think people just like slapping it because it is such a fun and popular tune and the bass line is so righteous. I knew that the synth bass was in "Let it Whip" but the slapped part is really fantastic!

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just about every 'older' rock cover band I've ever seen does a rendition of brick house. The song itself really annoys me but the bass is undeniably good- most righteous indeed.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Believe it or not, he also played an Ibanez Eagle bass. It was a Jazz looking bass with eagle inlays.

6. I've give Brickhouse a good workout several times over the years it's a real good tune for a band to jam, from a bass players point, you can easily go off on one, the main line makes for a lot of good variations, just make sure you give the other guys in the band a blast too!

Tony

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    He definitely uses fingers with an occasional pop. I remember seeing the band play it live. I always slap part of the line but fingers give it that big bottom.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Ron LaPread did play a Precision on "BrickHouse however,he would play a black Fender Jazz live
    Mike Wiley (may he RIP,and a good friend of mine)used a 79 Sabre on "Let it Whip".

9. [​IMG]
    Treena

10. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Yes, but did he use that same Sabre on "On the one for fun?"

11. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Brickhouse = P Bass.

I'll even go far as to say a P with flatwounds.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The Sabre was the only MM that Mike played.He did have a couple of Fender Jazz basses,but the Sabre got most,if not all the work.

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Yes he did.He actually use this bass on the "Slippery When Wet"tour

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

Spot on.

15. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I'm surprised to find that someone knows more about the Dazz Band than I do!

16. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I knew you'd eventually show up in this thread, WC!;)

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    What kills me about Ronald LaPread is that alot of people don't know how great he was as a writer. He wrote "Zoom" & "Fancy Dancer" among other classics.
    Keep in mind of how he got in the band in the first place. He was a ketboardist, but he was sick of his band. When Lionel Richie and Thomas McCleary asked him if he knew of an available bass player, he lied and said, "I'm the best in town!". That night he borrowed a bass, taught himself to play, and smoked the audtion the following week!

18. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Maybe he and Adrian Young of No Doubt should get together, since their stories are so similar.....[​IMG]

19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Speaking of the Commodores, what kind of bass nailed that groovy fretless on "NightShift?"

Lonnybass
    www.theparamours.com

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)