1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brick

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I was thinking of getting something to power all of my pedals because Im tired of pedals sucking my batteries dry. Whats some of the good power supplies out there that are reliable and safe?

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    1 Spot

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on your budget. The Voodoo Labs PPII is the best IMO, as its outputs are isolated, which reduces the potential for hum or line noise. Short of that there are loads of non-isolated daisy chain options: Godlyke, Onespot, Dunlop, etc.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you are on a tight budget, go with a One Spot or Godlyke over the Brick. If you can afford it, go for the Voodoo Labs.

The One Spot and Godlyke both have more juice than the brick, and unless you actually have 18v pedals, pretty much do the same thing, with (IMO) less mess and cordage all over your board. And $40 vs. $100 wins

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If you want to go with an isolated output power brick, the BBE Supa Charger will be a much better deal than the Voodoo Lab.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. I don't think the voodoo lab's all that great, owing to its measly current output. I think the t-rex fueltank series are better.

7. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    I have my eye on the t-rex fuel tank. the main reason is that it has a 12V AC output so I can power my english Muffn along with my 9V DC pedals. The 9volt outputs aren't isolated though. I'm not getting any hum or noise from my 1 spot so I should be ok.

8. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Thanks for all the help guys, Ill check out all of these suggestions. :D

9. Um... well, the specs speak for themselves:

Voodoo Labs PPII +
    Six 9VDC @ 100mA ea.
    Two 9VDC @ 250mA ea.

BBE Supa Charger
    Six 9VDC @ 100mA ea.
    Two 9VDC @ 200mA ea.

T-Rex FuelTank classic
    eight 9VDC with a TOTAL of 500mA (62mA per output equally shared.)

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The T-Rex also doesn't have isolated outputs, which may lead to ground issues.

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    The classic also gives 500ma down a 12V DC plug and 500 ma down a 12V AC plug. But personally, the winner of it all:

T-Rex Juicy Lucy, 5 isolated outs, 12V, 300ma on each one

FOR my uses anyway, the TC nova pedals are 12V 300ma guzzlers, and my planned board has 4 of those. i need 2 PP2+ to power them, and even so, sub-optimally. A single Juicy would cover my needs 12V wise. Different strokes for different pedalboards.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    its also good to consider 18v outputs if you have any MXR pedals or fulltone pedals and want 18volts (and 24 and 12 if you got wierd stuff)