Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brickhouse Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 20, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Forgive me if this has been discussed a zillion times, but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

How exactly is the tone in Brickhouse achieved? I know the song is played on a P, most likely with flats. But is the part actually slapped 100%? I've heard some debate on whether or not it's fingerstyle or slap.

I can get alittle close with my p + flats, but not exactly. Is there anything else to consider when trying to get a tone like that?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's played fingerstyle with some plucks here and there. A lot of cover bands just play the entire line slapped though.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

It always amazes me when bands play "Brick House" slapped. I suppose it comes from the frame of mind where "if it's funk it mustbe slapped". It is played fingerstyle throughout. The parts which sound slapped are actually "hard plucks"; a technique widely used by Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller, providing a percussive and aggressive sound similar to popping.

The groove happens when played fingerstyle, btw....most slappers play it too damn fast with those quick littel 16ths popping up all overthe place. Give it a good listen...it's a pretty greasy groove (and yes, it is a P with flats....)
    Max

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't know why it's slapped 99% of the time by other bassists either. I can never slap it and get it to sound right.

Rocco Prestia proves you don't have to slap to funk :)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...same goes for "Play That Funky Music".
    We used to cover Wild Cherry's anthem in the New Country parody band I'm in; I was asked by the leader to 'slap' it.
    :spit:
    So, if you happened to be in the crowd, you were probably asking yourself, "Why is that idiot slapping that tune".

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I ask that question every time I hear ANY song that's slapped, unless Larry Graham is playing it.

7. Our band does both Brickhouse and Funky Music. I used to slap both of them using steel rounds. :rolleyes:

Upon further listening one day, I realized I was doing something wrong. I can achieve a slap-like tone when needed by doing the above suggestion. I take the high end out of the strings by rollling off my treble.

I used to WAY overplay that song and one day just decided to let it groove. Much happier now.

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Our band plays a medley of these songs which has 'Brickhouse' go right into the long version of 'Funky Music'. I play AND sing both of these songs (not an easy task for me!) and even cover the 'guitar' intro of 'Funky Music' with my SR5.

And I play them with a *shudder* pick!

:bag:

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I can understand people slapping Brickhouse, but not Funky Music...:rolleyes: