Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Arjan, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Remember the song "Brickhouse", it has one of the most funky bassparts ever! The ol' commodores stuf is real funky indeed.
  2. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    So do 99 out of 100 cover bands (including mine) :eyebrow:

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999's been awhile. ;)
    "Juicy Fruit"(same album as "Brick House") is even funkier.
    The very early stuff(even pre-"Brick House") was more raw vs. their Pop-Funk meanderings...I'm thinking "Come Inside", "Let's Get Started", "Machine Gun", "Fancy Dancer" etc.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Don't forget "Give Me My Mule Please" (real early stuff). My fave: "Come Inside"! :bassist:
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think you're referring to "Squeeze the Fruit", and you're right, very funky song.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought he was talking about that song that goes "Juicy fruit, it's gonna move ya, it's gotta taste that gets right through ya!"

I was on board for that!

brad cook
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Woodchuck bailed me out again; it is "Squeeze The Fruit"...Give her that juice?
    Kinda a sequel to "Come Inside"?

9. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Oddly I think it's one of the more boring lines to play.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL. Yep, despite having to play it so frequently I still enjoy it. The recording has such great bass tone, too... I love slapped P-basses (sounds like a P-bass to me anyway).
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

I used to try and get that slapped P-bass sound out of my G&L back when I played Brickhouse. Never quite got there but the G&L sounded killer anyway slapping with just the neck pickup.
    Just lett'n it all hang out. She's a BA RICK...House. :D :bassist:
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Good song and great bassline, no doubt about that. I wouldnt say its the funkiest ever though. James Brown, Prince, & Tower of Power, (to name but a few) all have some stuff in it thats quite funkalicious.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, even though funkiness isn't really a competition... not the funkiest.

There is something to be said about the Meters.
  14. how many times do you think that song has been played? There isn't a number big enough...

when I think FUNK, I think Bay area...Sly and TOP now THAT is funky!! :cool:
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ronald LaPread was one seriously unnoticed bassist. The early Commodores albums before Lionel blew up were some of the best around. They also had some of the best recording quality of that day and still smoke most of what's been done since.

Start at the "Machine Gun" album and move forward. "I Feel Sanctified" and "Slippery When Wet" was their take on the Sly Stone "Thank You..." groove and I remember people going nuts when we played either. "Look What You've Done to Me", "Come Inside", "Squeeze the Fruit"...

there's just too many killin' songs these guys did that few have even heard. "Hot On The tracks" is my favorite Commodores album, front to back as soon as the needle drops it's on. "High On Sunshine" is one of my favorite songs, mainly because I love the rhythm guitar work of Thomas McClary. After the "Commodores" album Lionel became the focus and I lost interest... the funk was much harder to find.

Think I'll go downstairs and dig this one out right now;)
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm with you...heading the same way right after this.

The last time I spun Hot On The Tracks was probably in the late '70s. I had only heard "Fancy Dancer" when I TRADED for it. The 1st tune blew me away(I only recall that it's "E") as did "Come Inside".

FWIW, "Easy"(the beginning of the end?) has been getting more & more frequent airplay on our Oldies station. LaPread throws a nice little pentatonic run in that ballad...nice guitar tone on McClary's solo, too.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The opening cut from Hot On The Tracks is "Let's Get Started"...put it on & pretty much remembered how to play it(it is pretty simple). Funny, though, how I can recall things played 20+ years ago & can't recall what I played last week.
    "Come Inside" has a little bit of a Slave/"Slide" thing goin' on during the verses.
    "Fancy Dancer", IMO, is the funkiest cut on the album. The Hohner clavinet thing always adds to the funkness. ;)