Bride of Frankenstein? (new RBX270)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notduane, Jan 27, 2001.

1. notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I was checkin' the NAMM news at Harmony Central and saw that Yamaha is
    comin' out with a RBX270 model. Can a `270F (fretless) be far behind? :D
    I've got the `260F and it's a nice "test bed" or Frankenstein project.
    The `270 has the same features, but adds a J pup back near the bridge.
    Whoo-hoo! Even more futzin' possibilities :p...DiMarzio Split-P and a Bart 9W4J? :rolleyes:

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I always thought the cheap RBX's were pretty nice for cheap instruments. What I don't get here, though is what is the difference between an RBX 270 and an RBX 360?
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dang! Good question F/W! Dogged if I know :( . From the Yamaha site, the `360...
    ( )

[​IMG] best guess is they're re-doin' their catalog - simplifyin' maybe?
  4. I know i'm 5 years too late to answer the question, but the 360 is actice and the 270 is passive... hahaha
  5. DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    And, five years later, the RBX270 has shown a durable construction that is also pretty "frankenizable". IMHO, this little bass is a great option for beginners, and it can last for a long time with few minor changes in the stock (or even without them, maybe)

I´m thinking about getting another one, in fact... maybe the fretless... but in mist green, without any doubt! ;P. What do you think? Is any good getting two of these as main bass and backup? Could it get on par with a fender MIM or the like (with changes on the hardware, if neccesary)? I´m a student on tight budget who seeks a pretty standard passive p/j bass, wich is hard to find (apart from the new BBs) as here in Europe the standard MIMs that are so popular overseas cost around 500-600 euro [900$ USD]
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What would inspire you to bring this thread back, I have no idea.
  7. LAWL

This thread delivers.