Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge/action on jass bass. help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alistair_blake, Jan 2, 2005.

1. alistair_blake

alistair_blake

Jan 2, 2005
    my jass bass had really low action and the high notes wouldnt make a sound.. so i tightend the cylinder screws on the bridge and the action became higher, it was fine. then a few hours later it went back to the low action again, and whenever i tighten the screws on the bridge it just does it again. its a new bass aswell.. got it 4 xmas and if there is somthing wrong that wil be so annoying.. does anyone know whats wrong or how i can prevent the screws from undoing themselves?

2. alistair_blake

alistair_blake

Jan 2, 2005
    my jass bass had really low action and the high notes wouldnt make a sound.. so i tightend the cylinder screws on the bridge and the action became higher, it was fine. then a few hours later it went back to the low action again, and whenever i tighten the screws on the bridge it just does it again. its a new bass aswell.. got it 4 xmas and if there is somthing wrong that wil be so annoying.. does anyone know whats wrong or how i can prevent the screws from undoing themselves?

3. Take it into a shop, and get it professionally setup. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, take it somewhere.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Alistair,

I've moved your post to a forum where you're likely to get more response, but if the bass is new you should take it to the shop where you bought it to have it looked at and make sure nothing's broken.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. I would deffinately start with the bridge adjustments before going after the neck, it's a lot safer. IF the bridge is adjusted and you're still having the problem it sounds like the trussrod isn't threading properly. It shouldn't do what you're saying, but keep in mind that it takes time for a neck adjustment to "take" so only turn the trussrod a quarter turn and then leave overnight before checking the action again.

Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Tight = straight or convex Loose = relief or concave.

Before spending too much time with it (and possibly making it worse) I would check into your return options, or at the very least taking it to you local guitar shop and have them do a professional set up (cost you about 30 bucks)

Where did it come from originally?

6. Skaboy21

Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    hey man! i had delt with something similar. just take those little "L" shaped tools that came with it and loosen your individual string bridges. that will raise the action and allow your higher notes to ring out the way u want it to. trust me, i play with my bridge adjustments a great amount. plus u might want to try nickle strings. they seem to put less pressure on the trustrod and have more bounce to them.

7. Oh, I just re-read your posts and the bridge screws are slipping...right. Yeah try some of the screw lok stuff, but be careful to not spray all over the body. But again, think about having a pro set up before spraying anything as if there is a problem with the bridge you should return it.

the www.fender.com site has a good basic setup manual for basses in the Mr. Gearhead section. also check back issues of Bass Player on line.