Bridge Adjuster Posts

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Barefoot Larry, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I have a new Full Circle pickup, and the un-threaded posts aren't large-enough diameter to fit snugly into the existing holes in my my bridge-legs. They wobble in their holes, and the feet fall out as soon as I turn it vertical.

Fishman tells me that it should make no difference, string tension should hold the bridge together.

Their opinion is that when the bridge pops off after less than 3 minutes of playing it must be due to my luthier not cutting it so the underside is perpendicular to the face.

I put a small carpenter's square on the face of the bass, between the strings, and the back side looks perpendicular to ME.

I see the size of the un-threaded posts as a problem.

Does anyone agree with Fishman, on this?

Do un-threaded posts, so undersized that they wobble, actually have no bearing on the bridge popping off?

The bridge stays on fine with the original adjuster wheels on, even when playing slap.
  2. Hie thee to a luthier! I think you're experiencing the very same problems which have plagued DIY enthusiasts since time began - it's called lack of expertise. I'm not saying that you shouldn't "have a go", but someone has to clean up the mess, so why not do the job properly to begin with?

I don't mess with my bass set-up (apart from very occasionally raising or lowering the bridge -it has adjusters), for the same reason that my luthier doesn't screw around with his web-site. We help each other - that's the way it should always be!

Glue is most definitely out!

- Wil

PS: Someone posted a reference to a page on fitting bridges - it might have been on Bob (AH) Gollihur's fine site-ette, but I can't remember, and I'm too busy to research it - hint: use the "search" function... it was posted in the past month or so - Good Luck!
  3. I don't think you read the question all that well... a luthier DID fit my bridge, and the bridge came from Meisel with adjusters already installed.

The non-threaded upper posts on my Full Circle pickup are under-sized, and my bridge pops off repeatedly when the pickup is installed.

My question has to do with the fit of the non-threaded adjuster-posts causing my bridge to pop off repeatedly

Fishman is saying that the string tension should hold everything together just fine, slop in the posts notwithstanding.
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Can you give us some #'s? I have to say that I have not actually held a full O in my hand. What is the upper post diameter compared to the original? Some play is tolerable but this sounds like way too much.
  5. Sorry - you're absolutely right! I must admit I didn't read your question all that well - I can't think where the hell I got the idea of glue :rolleyes: - sorry about that! In future I will read more carefully before I reply, if at all...

- Wil
  6. Not right at this time. I own a dial caliper, from when I used to load match ammunition, but haven't seen it in about 15 yrs.

Fishman wanted to know if I could measure them also, and what I may do later this week is take them to a local machine-shop to have someone throw a micrometer on it.

They said that they measured several from un-shipped stock & all posts all came out at .232" exactly.

The only number I have available right now is "Way Too Loose To Suit Me".

This same bridge has actually had a different Full Circle in it earlier, whose posts fit almost exactly as snug as the Meisel wheels did (and do).

I first worried that maybe the bridge leg had a crack in it that I couldnt' see, letting the hole become over-sized.

However, I couldn't find any crack or deformation, the orignal posts still fit snug, and both FC posts fit with the same amount of slop.

Fishman has been wanting me to voice-call them, and I'll probably manage it Thursday or Friday, so I may know more/different after that.

If I can manage it, I'm going to get the posts mic'd somewhere before then. Looking for a dial-caliper that's been misplaced for 15 years doesn't seem to me like a really good strategy... ;)
  7. Yeah, a glued-in bridge adjuster... I guess you'd need to use hide glue on that. Epoxy would make adjusting too much of a hassle. ;)

The thought reminds me of a friend of mine who used to own a .25 automatic pistol. It jammed after every shot, 100% of the time.

I told him he was the only person I knew who would buy a single-shot automatic pistol. :p
  8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    is it possible to just dowel the hole and re-drill it?
  9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    As I mentioned on 2xbass, teflon tape cures many under-sized rod evils. There once was a Volkswagen Beetle whose oil filter was held into the crankcase largely by teflon tape. Should do on a bass bridge.
  10. DEMON RUNDOWN, I must have had the same Beetle...later on there were Major Teflon Tape Reparations in various other places in that heap.

But, really, how do You think that would affect the sound if You thicken the rods by wrapping several plies of teflon tape and then stuffing the whole package inside the uppper bridge holes...?
    I mean, isn´t the adjuster the only thing that transfers the vibrations from upper part of the bridge to the legs? The tape sure vibrates quite differently than wood or aluminium.

This doesn´t have anything to do with the original question, but personally I hate the thought about cutting my bridge into pieces and connecting them back together with something that is not wood...or generally taking apart something which was originally NOT meant to be split.
    I do know that adjusters are handy and climate-wise obligatory, and I have read hundreds of texts confirming that they don´t ruin the sound...but still I try to avoid them. Just because I´m a stupid conservative.
    If the adjusters are so Superior Inventions, why don´t we use sound post adjusters as well? Just cut or soundposts into two pieces and put a single bridge adjuster in between them? That would solve many problems...

11. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm thinking that thing shouldn't be rattling around in the hole. Shim it out so there's a more solid connection.

The Beetle lived fine with the tape. Winter killed it.
  12. Rattling? How´bout damping then?

13. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The idea is that if the posts get a wrap or two of teflon, they won't rattle anymore and you're done with this problem. This idea becomes more unworkable the greater the gap to shim out. You wouldn't want as much teflon as there is post, for example.

It ain't perfect, but it might work.
  14. Awwl right, I see what you mean. But did You ever read the posts above or did I understand something wrong ( lingually handicapped person as I am )?

BEARFOOD HARRY told that the rods are WAY too small to fit, and that´s what they must be, considering that the bridge pops off when he plays the Bass. So it´s not gonh be two wraps around.
    No need to argue anyhow, lessee what HARRY gets as an answer from the Fishmen. I´m interested too, ´cause a colleque I know just got his assembled and he´s doin´just fine. Haven´t heard him play yet, though.