1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge Adjuster Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by willroland, Apr 7, 2009.

1. (There may be a thread on this already, if so, please paste it here as I could not find it.)

I just had adjusters installed on my bridge with a FC by a professional luthier. The work is flawless (thanks Upton).

However, I noticed that after tuning to pitch, there is a very slight angle towards the scroll in the gap between the adjuster and the wood on the E side. I have lots of graphite in the grooves and the grooves are nice and smooth and the feet are where they are supposed to be, but I can't seem to get the gap 100% parallel. The angle is very slight, in fact, unless you get right down there and with very good light, you can't see it.

Is this a problem? Should the gap between the adjuster and the wood be exactly parallel?

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Are you talking about a gap between the bottom of the adjuster and the foot?
    There should some gap there and I would think it should be pretty close to parallel, but it's not critical. The back of the bridge should be perpendicular to the top and almost perfectly straight. If your bridge is curved slightly toward the scroll, just push it back straight with thumb and forefinger.

If the TOP of the bridge doesn't perfectly contact the top of the pickup, the pickup will not sound right. In this case, take it back and have them fix it.

All of this assumes the threads are down.

3. Thanks clink.

Yes, the gap between the adjuster and the foot when the bridge is raised a few millimeters. All of the lines look good and the whole thing is straight and perpendicular. The angle in the gap is so slight that is hardly measurable, but I am very picky if it's not perfect.

The pickup is exactly flush with the wood, no problems there. The pickup sounds good. Also, when the bridge is off and the adjuster is all the way in, the foot and the metal is completely flush.

I guess the real question is how much slop there should be in the adjuster threads and how will it impact the stability of the thread/tap.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Slop? Dunno.
    I think it's good. Sleep well.