Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge alignment perpendicular to strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PCPlod, Feb 4, 2006.

1. PCPlod

PCPlod

Sep 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi,

I've searched as many threads about bridge alignment as I could but could not find the answer to this problem so I'm sorry if it's already been covered.

Looking down the strings on my bass, the E is significantly closer to the outside edge than the G string and I wonder whether I have knocked the bridge sideways.

How can I check whether this is the case? Where should the bridge be? Should the space between the A and D string be exactly mid-way across the fingerboard?

As it plays well (enough for me), should I worry?

Thanks for any help!

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ideally the overhang of the fingerboard should be the same for the G and E strings. If you want, tune all the strings down a whole step, then gently knock the bridge over to the G side. If this is too risky for you and the bass plays fine, then just leave it. You can always have it adjusted later.

3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    If your bass is a neck-through, well, I don't know, you COULD mess with the bridge. BUT, if it's a bolt-on, for sure it's a neck problem, NOT a bridge problem. First, tighten all the screws that hold the neck on to the body. Then, holding the body by the lower (g -string side) horn and pull the neck (up by the headstock) over to the side a little bit, evening up the distance of the outside strings to the edge of the fingerboard. This is a VERY common "fault" of Fender basses and is easily corrected. Good Luck

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    deaf pea, maybe you should change your name to blind pea?

5. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    LOL

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Neck-through double bass? Kinda like a Gibson 335? That'd have to weigh in at about 350lbs.

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    OOPS! I did't sleep much this morning after working all night and, as I like to keep up on ALL things pertaining to bass (double-bass AND bass guitar), I regularly read the posts on both sides. Oh well, I didn't notice that this was a question on the "double-bass" side . . . and IT HAS BEEN a common problem with my bolt-on Fender basses . . . Soooo . . .

8. PCPlod

PCPlod

Sep 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks Nick (and other for your contributions).
    I've shifted the bridge a little as you suggest and nothing much has happened, except, obviously, the strings are more central.