Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge and Nut and Neck Question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 17, 2004.

1. I had no idea where to put this, anyway, why is a bass neck smaller at nut and wider at bridge, if you look at a guitar, the neck is equal and even, whats with us?

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    look again

3. what?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The necks are tapered on a guitar too.

5. but why! thats my question. I really could care less about guitars, i was just trying to contrast the two.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well....think about it this way. The nut on a jazz bass is 1 1/2" wide. Say you keep that measurement and carry it all the way down the neck (and thus...to the bridge). Look at the space between the strings at the nut on a jazz...not much room to get your fingers in there to play, right? ;) Conversely, look at how wide the spacing is at the bridge (where there is "usually" about 3/4" between each string). If you wanted a neck that is "even", transpose that up to the nut. How fast do you think you'd be able to play runs and licks in the first few positions on a bass with a neck that wide? Since most people primarily play in the 1-7 positions anyway, think about how fatigued your hand would get constantly spanning that distance. Granted, this doesn't really apply to extended range basses that have super-wide necks anyway, but it really comes down to a playability issue. You tend to need less room for fretting and more room for plucking the strings....that's primarily why the neck is narrower at the nut and wider at the bridge.

7. acctually, I love the feel of the spacing directly after the nut. It feels a lot more "comfortable" I guess, that's just my oppinion.

8. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    and thats were custom builders come in....

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It also has to do with the vibration of the strings. The strings move more at the middle of their length than at the ends. This makes more space for them to vibrate, even as you move up the neck.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Exactly...that's really the other part of the equation. The natural eliptical vibration of a string, when plucked, needs that room in the middle of the neck. If you had a tight, narrow spacing all the way up the neck, you'd have strings baging into each other all over the place! :p That probably wouldn't be great for sustain, but if you spaced it just right, you could probably get some bizare sitar effects going on. :D