Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge And Pickups For Sx 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Racsen, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I have this bass Sx 5 stringed it has been defretted by a luthier.

And I like this bass tone when I play unplugged but when I plug it I dont like the sound.

So I decided to do some changes on it.First I like to change pickups and bridge but this bass has diffrent string spacing and I cant decide what bridge and pickup should I buy.

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Is it a "Jazz" style SX 5 stringer? I dropped EMG active jazz pickups into my SX 4 banger for about 120 bucks or so (I can't rememnber exactly). They are really simple to install with hardly any soldering required. They have a little clip that plugs into the pickup then goes right to the supplied and pre-wired pots. They sound pretty decent too...way better than the stock SX pickups. I'm willing to bet that EMG has a 5 string version! Good Luck

3. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Yes Jazz style .Is this string spacing a problem should I buy a regular pickup for 5 string?

By the way sorry about my english :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I put a set of used carvin pickups in my sx 5 string. Used Carvin gear is very inexpensive, and the set I purchased cost all of 25 bucks. Carvin pups are bar magnets (like emg) so as long as the bars are long enough, the spacing doesn't matter. The bridge position was a direct drop in I had to file away a bit of pickup for the neck position, but nothing major, and no cutting or filing of wood was necessary.

They were HN50's and they made the bass sound much more thick and smooth, and as they are stacked humbuckers, they eliminated all hum, even when soloed. If you want more agressive sound, I would go with the EMG's but for thick vintagey tone, I like the HN50's