1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge buzz on three-point bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Waspinators, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I have a terrible high-pitched buzz on my open E, that after carefully searching the bass (an Epiphone T-Bird), is definitely coming from the three-point bridge. Springs can't be the cause here, as there are none. And I have no way of adjusting the individual saddles, so what do I do?

Also, is this a common issue with the Gibson/Epiphone three-point bridge?

2. what seems to be the trouble with being able to adjust the saddles?

3. Hi.

Usually any "normal" or "regular" strings won't sit well in the three point saddles, usually A & E. The uneven winding near the end is right at the witness point and causes all kinds of weird noises.

Should do that on entire lenght of the string though, not just one note.

The remedy is the ferrule trick that is said (falsely, IMO/IME) to affect the tension of the string. There is, or at least was, a pre-drilled bar in e-bay to take care of that problem. Any brass, steel, whatever bar of the ~10mm OD drilled to the string spacing will do the trick.

Sounds like a low nut groove to me though, if just open E is the problem.

Regards
    Sam

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you could try raising the front post just a bit, sometimes that helps. also try pressing down on the string at the saddle to help with the break angle. sounds a little silly but it does the trick most of the time. good luck and let us know how you solve the problem.