Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by opivy3056, Dec 3, 2004.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey
    I own a MIM jazz bass all stock components. Ive just recently noticed that when I play on the D string there is a slight buzzing coming from the bridge. This buzz is easily heard through my amp aswell. If I put my finger on the spring on the bridge the buzzing stops. Is it just a cheap bridge that I need to replace? Or is there some minor thing I could do myself to tweak this problem?

thanks

2. get a longer spring

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Could I adjust the spring to make it so that its further out with a screwdriver instead of getting a new one?

4. Sure.. there's probably a bunch of ways you can quiet that buzzing spring. Maybe compress it a bit and put a piece of dampening material between the spring and screw or at the ends. You could try to stretch it a bit, but that would be better done if you could remove the screw and the spring and gently pull it apart to make it longer. Anything to keep it from vibrating around metal to metal.

Mag...