Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Buzzing.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 7, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I just changed my strings, the problem was there before, but know its all the MORE there. Man, why does my bass keep getting messed up? i keep it nice and in order. o well. i have bridge buzzing. mostly there when playing open strings. ive noticed that when i touch the bridge saddels (hold them down) it doesnt happen. maybe this is a stupid question. i dont really know. Also, none of my bridge saddles are pushed back at all. should they be? to corect hight, i always raised them. thats right , right? or is it just the crapey bridge on the standerd MIM P-Bass?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    First: read up on intonation (positioning of the bridge saddles). This is mighty important! Basically, it's what makes the instrument play (almost) in tune on all notes, not just open strings.

Second:
    the buzz could be caused by the height regulating screws. The two must both be engaged to the bottom plate. So make sure they are equally screwed down.

I have a Squire P, no bridge problem, so it wouldn't be a common error.
    Good luck!

3. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

hello

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thank you for such a useful, mature contribution to this discussion. :rolleyes:

Polly, it does sound like the screws holding the saddles in place are loose, especially since you say you've raised them before. Like Suburban says, try screwing them down. Leave the actual saddles where they are, or you'll muck up the intonation.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Your height adjustment screws need to both be putting pressure on the bridge base plate as already stated. If one of them keeps vibrating loose you can add a small drop of lock tite to the threads. This will keep the screw adjustment fixed, but will allow you to change it if you want to. A little drop of white glue may accomplish the same thing,(apply it to the threads of the height adjustment screws), I have never used white glue on my threads but have a Wilkenson bridge that I used lock tite on to keep the screws from vibrating loose. That is assuming that it is your height adjusment screws that are rattleling.