Bridge Change Results

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:

1. So today I performed a bridge change for my Squier SS jag. The stock bridge was swapped out for a Hipshot A style. The million dollar question is....did anything change?
    Well, the changes are subtle, and its most obvious experiencing and playing it first hand. In recordings, its not that much of a difference.
    The change I like the most is with the bridge my low notes are much more rounded, consistent, and are also slightly darker. The stock bridge was rather airy and woody. The feel with the new bridge is also better, with the higher tension and less rattle. Obviously it looks better too.
    I uploaded both on Soundcloud. Bear in mind I'm not the greatest player or mixer or producer. I just did a simple recording for the sake of comparison. A little loop of Chameleon in G. I suggest turning up your volume a wee bit to be able to really hear the differences.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like the string saddles, bridge, and body are all making a more solid connection now - in other words, the upgrade worked as intended. A good solid high mass bridge properly installed can do that. :thumbsup:

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The same strings at the same scale length and tuned to the same pitch will have the same tension regardless of what kind of bridge it is.

Khronic, 96tbird, Hopkins and 2 others like this.
  4. Optofonik

Optofonik

Jul 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Are these uncompressed .wav files?

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have a feeling that the setup change that resulted from the swapped bridge had more of an effect than the bridge itself. The bridge definitely did not result in higher tension.

Zooberwerx and 96tbird like this.
  6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Inactive

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    +1

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021