Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge choice...help me out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hey guys,

I did some searching but I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for. I've been repalcing all the hardware on my SX project with black stuff for a more stealth look (Going solid black on everything besides the back of the neck). I have Mighty Mite tuners on the way, I already have black knobs, jack plate, strap buttons, etc. The last piece that needs to be changed is the bridge.

The obvious choice might be the Badass II bridge that everybody recommends. I would probably take it to my tech to have the saddles filed and everything. The other option I considered is getting the Gotoh that's direct replacement also. Doesn't need filing and looks to be as big and thick as a BAII. I could also get a cheap Fender style bridge for about half the price but I figure since I'm changing it anyways I may as well upgrade right?

What would you guys suggest? I'm looking mainly at drop in replacements. Are there any options that I missed?

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Have a look at the Schaller 2000. It is a direct drop in for a Fender, but built better that most I have seen, including the Badass, at least from what I can see.

- Tim

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I beleive the BAII comes in black, as well as gold and chrome.

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    The BA does come in black but go with the Gotoh or Schaller. With the BA, there is a possibility of you not being able to achieve as low of an action as you did with the stock SX bridge. The BA looks good and does give the bass more sustain but at a possible price.

5. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I'm not sure about the others, but the BadAss is pretty nice. I put one on my SX and it fit perfectly without having to drill new holes. I never filed mine down either, but the strings are still stable and it stays in tune.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    For the same reason as Sgt Pepper, as well as price, I would go with a Gotoh or Schaller. Plus, if you ever wanted to use one, a bridge cover (ashtray) would fir over the Gotoh/ Schaller, but not a BA.

7. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    gowith hipshot.
    hipshot is the best.

8. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    If you want something that will NEVER move.. go Kahler 2440 for a 4 string, or 2450 for a 5 string..

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, I love my Hipshot Type A bridge.

On an SX I'm sure you would have to drill new holes but IMO, it's worth it! Then again, the Schaller roller bridge is pretty sweet to!

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you want a drop-in that will fit with no screwing and no modification go with the Gotoh. There are better and worse bridges, but the gotoh offers a lot of bang for the buck. It's a far better bridge than the Badass II I'll tell you that.