Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge comparison

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eilif, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    What are the pro's cons of these 4 string bridges?

Badass
    Badass II
    Hipshot
    Gotoh 201

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Cons - They're not ABM's :D

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IIRC, the BA and BAII are for two applications. The BA is designed to retrofit Gibson style stuff whereas the BAII is designed to retrofit Fender style stuff. So, the pros and cons of those two would depend on the bass you are going to put them on.

As they compare to the others mentioned, the Leo Quans (that's who makes the BA series) are a little heavier, which can make for a darker, less bright tone. Weight may also improve sustain.

The disadvantage is that you have to file your own saddle slots, which can be a little tricky if you have never done it.

The Gotoh is a little lighter, but is well-machined. I am not sure if it will retrofit without new holes or screws.

Hipshot makes a bunch of different bridges out of different metals. The brass are going to be more like the BA, the alluminum are going to sound thiner and brighter. Steele is somewhere in the middle. Depends on what you get.

My order of preferance would be Quan, Gotoh, hipshot.

I agree with Rickbass that the ABM is superior to all of the above, however, they are very expensive. Unless I was working on a very nice bass (more than $1000) I could not justifiy the cost of them.

Chas

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can only speak for the Gotoh 201, and there really aren't any cons. It fits right over the same holes, and does everything the old bridge does, but better. It's more massive, has slots to keep the saddles from moving, and looks purtier too, but still similar enough to look "Fender". It's a direct drop-in that any monkey with a philips head screwdriver could put in. I believe is also the most affordable of those mentioned. ($20-ish)

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I should clarify. I have a MIM P and I was considering replacing the bridge. I have put a bridge cover on, so it doesn't matter what it looks like. I assume the Gotoh will, but will a badass II fit under a bridge cover? What is the best choice around 50 bucks for a pbass bridge?

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So true!

Of the two you picked, you really can't go wrong with any of them. I would prefer the Gotoh or Hipshot personally, but the Badass II is good, but it's a lot of extra work. I don't particularly like it's setup, either. Where are you going to get a Badass?

Definitely, though, if you're not just replacing a Fender bridge, buy an ABM. It's well worth it.