1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge coupling question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kb9wyz, Sep 17, 2010.

1. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Hi all,

I am in the process of getting a new bass modded. While I was shopping for parts, my attention was brought to the fact that LQ Badass mounting screws are much longer compared to your basic plain-old bridge screw you'd find on a "vintage" type bridge. So I was thinking:

Is there any relationship between the length of the bridge screws and how well it couples to the body? If I used neck screws (for example) which are much longer than stock bridge screws, would there be any noticeable effect on tone or sustain over the shorter screws?

Thanks all.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Theoretically, yes. In practical terms, I seriously doubt it.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The most noticable change would be the tips of the screws sticking out on the backside of the bass. Seriously, there would be no audible difference.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ^That

5. Not a chance. Heck, if I can't tell the difference between running my strings thru-body(theoretically the best 'coupling') vs. thru-bridge, then, nah. Engineering know-how says that if you have enough thread runs into the wood to be secure (about 4 or 5), you can't do any better with more. Secure is secure. Sustain? Do you need more sustain?

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

The bass plate of the Badass is much thicker than the vintage style bridge so the longer screws go about as deep into the wood as the vintage screws.

That being said I use longer screws to anchor bridges for no particular reason than I had already bought a box of them.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021