1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge Cover: Will It Fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tdelamont, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I don't know the dimensions of the '51 P-bass bridge, but I want to add a bridge cover to a 2001 MIM P (stock). BUT, I want the back end open so I don't have to remove the ashtray to change the strings. So the question is: Is a '51 re-issue bridge cover wide enough to work on the '01 P? Thanks in advance, this is the best bass forum evah, so I know one of you wiseguys will have the answer.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Proper generation 1 P bass covers are open on the end.

Edit: sorry I misunderstood your question. I don't agree it would look crappy but removing two screws ain't a big deal. ;)

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    If you slide the cover up far enough it will be. Only problem is that a '51 bridge cover on a modern P will look like crap.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you used neodymium magnets to hold the bridge cover in place, instead of screws, your could quickly and easily remove the bridge cover for string changes without using a screwdriver.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Years ago, I played with a pick and rested my hand on the bridge ... I ended up putting a neck pup cover over the bridge .. it worked out well .. and would serve the same purpose that you are after with the old style bridge cover ... it was wide enough, but used a J neck pup cover ...

BTW, this was on a '65-'66 Fender Jazz, dots with binding and oval tuners ... I sold it in '72 and have been watching for it to surface in the last few years ... unless it has been refinished, I would know it by the extra screw hole on the treble side of the bridge, that I drilled to screw in the neck pup cover ... I used the bridge cover hole on the bass side, that way I only had to drill one other hole to attach it ... so, if anyone knows of the described Jazz with two screw holes (that dont make any sense) between the bridge and the control plate, about 1/2" apart ... by all means give a shout ... there will be a finders fee :)

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I think a better question to ask would be if it will blend.

7. @Rip Topaz, no question that it wouldn't be the best looking set-up around, but I sure am tired of those saddle screws poking at me if I'm using a pick (not much of a pick guy, but on some tunes, I need the "bite"). @ EricssonB, blend with what, the look? @ tjh, that neck pup cover sounds like a pretty slick idea, never thought of that....might check that option out. Thanks.

8. I don't know what neodimininiumnnmim magnets are, but wouldn't sticking magnets of any kind next to a pickup (which is a magnet, basically) screw up the properties of said pickup? I'm thinking "Crossing the the streams would be bad, Ray. Imagine all life as we know it exploding outward at the speed of light." (Ghostbusters)

9. As a side note, you just answered a long-nagging question I've had about a particular lyric in Billy Joel's "Allentown" (they threw a neodymium flag in our faaaaaaaace - hey, hey, hey, oh oh oh)

Thanks dude!

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I actually liked the look of the neck pup cover in the bridge position ... but more than anything for me, it was comfort .. with the saddle screws ripping the edge of my hand raw after 4-5 nights in a row of 4+ hour shows, it was a needed move ...

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Don't get me wrong, I do see the value of the bridge cover. I have a full set of armor on my single coil P.

I've been back and forth about putting covers on my 60th Anniversary P, mostly because I can't decide which ones to use!! It's a split coil P, but with a 51 style guard, so it would look weird with modern covers and just as strange with vintage style covers.

The one with the covers has a vintage style threaded saddle bridge, so I definitely understand wanting to save your hands from the screws.

The modern high mass bridge doesn't have the issue with sharp edges.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I did that for a friend's bass and there were no problems; the magnets weren't close enough to the pickups to interfere. We did the same thing with the control cavity cover; no tools required.

13. The fat pad on my lower right hand says thanks for the input, fellas. I thinks I'll go with the "pickup cover over the bridge" route that tjh used. Affixed with double-sided 3m tape for a start, in case it doesn't work out.

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I think that may be a good call! Really with tape, you wouldn't ever have to screw it on.

15. And I won't have to drill holes in a really beautiful bass and mar the finish.

16. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    No no, I meant 'blend' blend. Truly inspirational YouTube series:

iSmoke; don't breath this stuff.

17. Holy Crap! I could have used that phone...