Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Emergency

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Okay, my bridge is in the worst shape possible. I'm breaking multiple strings every time I play. I know I should have changed it before, but i really dont know anything about bridges. I have a Ibanez SR406 6-string. Does any 6-string bridge work with this? Or is there certian bridges I should use? Also what kind of bridges are good?

2. It's VERY unusual for a bassist to break 2 strings within memory of each other so I find you breaking 2 a night is unbelievable. I hope you're exaggerating.

I've looked at pics of the SR 406 and yes, you can replace that bridge with another. The body of the 406 is flat so nearly any 6 string bridge will work. You probably aren't going to find one that fits the old screw pattern so just shop on feature and price.

There are several well known aftermarket manufacturers of bridges. The names to remember are Schaller, ABM, Hipshot, Gotoh, Wilkinson, Leo Quan, and Kahler. There are also the clones of these bridges, which can fill the bill too. Some of these are available here: http://mailboxmusic.zoovy.com/category/bassparts.bridges.6string/

I personally would consider the less expensive solutions first. That's what the factory did when they built your bass. These pieces function as well as their more expensive counterparts but don't cost an arm and a leg.

Installation should be done by a qualified Tech. Installation isn't trememdously difficult but because it's on on a finished bass, it can't be missed the first time. It is important to keep the bridge perpendicular to the center line of the instrument and someone with experience will have the techniques down.

3. Actually Im not exagerating. My band keeps track of how many strings we break for something stupid to keep track of.
    Since March, I lead with 19, note joking either.

4. how high is your action? the reason that i ask is that i once had a streak of breaks, but when i lowered my action a bit, everything was good. it turns out that the break angle over the saddle was too sharp and the core wire of the larger strings couldn't handle the tension and would snap.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to break stings occassionally when I was young and played with a pick (too hard). Years ago I switched to fingerstyle and refined my technique, and I haven't broken a string since. And that's been 15 or so years.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have never broken a string. I would cehck to see if there are ruts worn into your bridge pieces to make sure there are no sharp bits sticking up. Check there first. Also, have you tried another brand of string?

7. If you're snapping them at the saddle, check to see if you've got a burr or something. You can "file" it off with a length of broken string.

If you like your bridge, try different saddles. I haven't used them for bass, but I've changed all of my guitar saddles to String Saver by GraphTech. It makes a difference- not necessarily in tone, but for string breakage.

http://www.graphtech.bc.ca/product_display.asp?SearchType=brand&brand=StringSaver

Saddle-Bass 6-String P/J Style · PS-8316-00

It's almost 3/4 of the way down- for the Ibanez SR 4-800 series.

8. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I don't think the bridge is your problem. The problem might just be your playing style.
    Too violent tuch, playing near the bridge with a heavy pick and excess slapping and popping will do the job of breaking a string.
    I have nerver, in the 32 years I have played bass, broken a string while playing. And my tuch is very hard 'cause I started playing when the amps were underpowered.