1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bridge, fingerboard and nut all in 1 piece?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonas_oxide, Oct 11, 2006.

1. has anybody here considered the possibility? I think it would be right cool if someone made a fretless where the bridge, fingerboard, and nut were all carved out of the same single piece of material. would that make a difference in the resonance or sustain? I think that with a 1/4 inch piece of african blackwood, one could make it happen without adding too much weight, and the hardness of the blackwood could mean that the fingerboard portion wouldn't need to be too thick. anyway, just an idea I had last night, and who better to put it to than you guys. I am so freeking addicted to this forum I could plotz!

2. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
  3. too bad its as ugly as sin, real gold ????

4. :eek:

I bet you could ring all 4 strings, go take a nap for the night, and the next morning the strings would still be ringing.

But +1 to the "ugly as sin" part. :rolleyes:

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Funny. I think that that's one one the nicest basses ever made.

Although I like the natural wood better than the gold:
    [​IMG]

Or with a "more normal" body shape:
    [​IMG]

6. Its a beautiful item, maybe not to the jazz bass crowd but in its own right shes a beauty

7. the only difference between what they (pagelli) are doing and my idea is that their bridge/saddle, and the nut are inset pieces of wood, and I was thinking that the bridge and nut would be the result of removing excess material to create a fingerboard. In other words, carving the nut and bridge out of the same piece of wood so that no gluing or fitting would be necessary.

8. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    un-economic destruction to the rain forests!

i like Pagelli's design. i dont think its ugly at all! i am not into headless instruments though, hmm!

9. this is a good point, but it could just as easily be done with phenolic, graphite, diamondwood, or other more prolific local woods (black locust, maple, persimmon, applewood, pearwood, sycamore, etc.). heck, you could even make them out of old furniture and have the wood acrilised for stability and strength, or use an epoxy/polyester to achieve a harder playing surface.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    WHOA! That is nice! And do I spy a snakewood fingerboard? That should be illegal. In a good way.

11. AAAAAA! you could go take a bite, come back, AAAAAAAA you'd still be hearing that

I don't hear anything

Well yeah, but if it was plugged in AAAAAAAAAA

12. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The snakewood one is not headless:
    [​IMG]

13. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Contrary to what other people here think, I don't think an "only wood" path from one end of the string to the other is going to increase sustain. On the contrary, I think it would probably have less sustain, and maybe more "punch" (or maybe not), maybe "more character" (or maybe not).

For more sustain, you want metal in there. It cleanly reflects or transmits the string energy, as opposed to wood, which has greater absorption.

14. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Also, I'm with the people who consider it a waste to take a 4" x 5/8" x 40" piece of rare wood and grind half of it away to make one fingerboard/bridge out of it, rather than resawing it into two fingerboards.

While it's not as pure in concept, a glued bridge or one simply resting in place would sound fine. Stradivarius violins and Martin guitars don't seem to suffer much for it, and they're acoustic instruments.

15. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    ..but you could saw it like 1x (multi 3-in-1 project) and 1x ('normal' fingerboard) ...

Personally i like the idea, but not from rare wood.

mike

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Either you cut a rather thick plank into two of this 'all-in-one', or you route a channel for bridge and nut and slide in another piece.
    Sustain will not be impacted, since the downforce will keep them where they belong.

The original idea will add sustain compared with a stiff neck, bolt on joint, soft body. It will not add much compared to any neckthru or set neck into stiff body.

If you really want sustain, you want really stiff gear, and metal is the greatest.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021