Bridge for MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frugle, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    not sure where this would go, if a mod could move this to it's rightful place I would appriciate it.

we all know that the bridge that comes stock on the MIM jazz leaves a lot to be desired, so I'd like to replace it.

I would really like to put a badass bridge on there... i've been told they are the best replacement bridges, and decently price...

but the problem is, I play mostly Christian Gigs (camps, chruch etc.) and it might be a little weird walking in with "badass" written so largly on the bridge of my bass...

that being said, is it possible to put one of the retro bridge plates over my MIM jazz? there are no holes in my jazz, so I'm guessing I would have to drill something.. is that they way it normally is for one of the plates? or did those come stock?

I Don't really want to drill holes in my bass, is there another bridge decently priced that would give me the same performance?

and while I'm at it making this thread... I would really like to replace the pups, could someone please recomend a decent set of replacement pups, decently priced of course?
  2. Maybe a "Gotoh 206 4 String Bass Bridge"

Or a "Schaller 463 - 4 String Bass Bridge"

Both can be found on
  3. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Hi Welcome to Talkbass. I appreciate it might be important to you but seriously the only persons that actually read what is written on headstocks never mind bridges are bass players. I personally wouldnt worry about it but hey I respect it if you are sensitive about it. You could look at putting on a bridge cover but you will have to drill your bass + its a real pain when you need to adjust action/intonation as you have to remove it every time. Another bridge to consider is GOTOH or Schaller but the opinions you'll find on this forum will favour the Badass. Some will tell you that if the bass intonates properly and the action is suitable for you then if it aint broke dont fix it. For what its worth I think Fender bridges although utilitarian work just fine.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I see nothing wrong with the stock Fender bridges.
  5. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    yeah, it's just the fact that you never know.. If I brought it into my personal church, noone would really give a crap... but there are some lutherine, or church of God churches, that I know of, that would istantly kick me out..

So i would rather not take my chances, get something maybe less great and stay safe.

Thanks for the recomendations guys!

I was looking for more sustain, as well as maybe a warmer sound, I don't know how much the bridge affects the sound, but It seems that if I would get more sustain, it would come with a warmer, cleaner sound.. correct?
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I say just put a simple sticker over it.
  7. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    More sustain... maybe and maybe you could hear it in a recording studio but live? nah, I agree with Jazzin - put a sticker on it if you do change it
  8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    why? everybody gotta know that you are a badass on bass playing? :p :cool:
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    a bada$$ II in black chrome? Maybe that or find a Dremel grinder

Gotoh 201 (also available at Warmoth) is a drop-in for Fender style bridges --
    no drilling necessary. I've tried both and there's not too much difference.
    Plus, no naughty words on the Gotoh

Attached Files:

10. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Sand the word bad ass off the brigde....
    Use a sticker to cover bad ass
    Drilling holes isn't that hard... I really like the ABM brigdes, you can find them on sorta up there in price, but they are worth it imo. Not sure if they are drop in fender replacements though.
    Or get a Gotoh 201, and get some graphite saddles (imo they are very nice, and worth it)
  11. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA

Is the bass II a drop in for the jazz? would I have to make any change except of the normal setuping?

what's the difference between the Gotoh 201 and the BA?
  12. "drop in" = no drilling...remove the screws of the old bridge, put the new bridge on, replace the screws and you're done...Yes, except for set-up and you can get a good starting point from your old bridge, I'd say...

The gotoh bridge has a bit more metal. But like JimmyM said...I see nothing wrong with a stock Fender bridge...I wouldn't put one on a bass that I was building from scratch, but they're perfectly workable bridges.
  13. I have the Gotoh 201, and there is one caveat: it is taller than the stock MIM bridge. The string saddles cannot be lowered down as far as the stock bridge.

If your particular action already requires your saddles be run all the way down, the Gotoh is not the answer for you.

That said, I put the Gotoh on my MIM-P and it fits great. It wouldn't work at all on my MIM J-fretless due to the above height issues.
  14. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I tried one and had that problem. Took it off and went with a Fender Custom shop vintage replacement.

The Gotoh saddles are fatter and the plate is thicker. If I had been thinking, I would have considered using the saddles of a Fender bridge with the Gotoh. Not sure if they would have lined up or not.

15. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    First of all, are you really having problems with the stock bridge?
    Bad sustain? Bad intonation?
    Seems like you just wanna change the bridge!
    Nothing wrong with that too but if you want to improve your bass sound you should consider try different amps, cabs etc...

Second, "Badass" it's not that largely written, only people who really wants to read will do and they have to get really, really close to the bass.
    And why be ashamed of that? Why been so puritan?
    Even jesus had an ass! ;-)
  16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  17. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    :eek: ....funniest thing ive read all week
  18. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Hey, how about silver duct tape!

19. Man... I didn't know cults kicked people out.
  20. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    hehe... just had to get your cult plug in there didn't you?

Christianity is not a "cult" they won't kick someone out unless they are causeing havic.

also, they will ask you not to play in the band if there is something you do they don't like.