Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge ground (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jul 24, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone!

I just bought a Fender Bassman 300 Pro, and I was playing through it and noticed a popping noise intermittently while I was playing. I couldn't locate it until I stopped playing and completely let go of the strings. I got a hiss/buzz noise until I put my fingers back on the strings.. which resulted in the "pop" noise. While I'm touching the strings there is no noise though. Someone said it might be caused by my bridge not being grounded... could that be it? If so is there anyway to fix that because the buzz sound is not too good. If that isn't the problem what else might cause it? I don't think it's the amp, because it happened through my other amp as well, it just wasn't as easy to notice. Any ideas or opinions would be great!!

Thanks!
    Justin

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The popping thing I don't know about but you can determine whether your bridge is grounded by running a continuity check between the bridge and the jack - just put the probe in where you plug in and touch the other to the bridge.

3. I have this same problem. At first I thought it was my bass, then I thought it was my amp, but finally, I've figured out, for me, it has to be something in my house.

I have no three prong outlets in my room, so I have to use an adapter for the amp. My guess, it that this is my culprit, because I checked the amp and bass in the store, and neither buzzed there.

If I were you, that is what I would do, head up to the store with bass and amp in hand. See if you still have the same problem there. If so, then it's likely that either the bass or amp are your culprit. If not, you are probably having a similar issue, as I am.

If you get it fixed, please let me know, because my current solution is trying to live with it. :scowl: