Bridge Help Requested

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grooveguru, Mar 15, 2002.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    On my Fender P I have an old Dimarzio brass bridge that is 15-20 yrs. old. I need to set up this bass but everything is really corroded and tarnished. What can I use to clean it up and unstick the parts?

2. try some type of polish to get the tarnish off and some elbow grease to get the corrosion off...

my .00000002 centavos
  3. This is a tedious method but absolutely necessary to make sure the bridge works correctly and looks good:

1. Totally disassemble the bridge and saddles. Seperate the steel parts (screws, springs etc.) from the brass parts.

2. Take a tin can and put about 4 ounces of mineral spirits in the can. Take the steel parts and put them in the can to soak for a couple of days.

3. Take another tin can (larger) and put about 4 ounces of acetone in the can. Put the brass parts in there until any clear coating has softened or dissolved completely.

4. After the clear coat is gone use a soupy paste mixture of lemon juice and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to scrub the brass clean of all tarnish. This WILL take some elbow grease. Use any method to polish the brass you want - rag, toothbrush, etc. Get all of the tarnish because any leftover will continue to grow under the new clear coat.

5. Get a clear, spray lacquer from nearly any hardware source. After letting the brass parts dry completely, mist on several coats of the lacquer. Let dry and cure a couple of days.

6. Get out the steel parts and see what will clean up and what won't. Use a small wire brush if necessary. If the parts are too rusted or corroded you can get new ones from a "good" hardware store. Black hardware is hard to find but stainless steel is easier and won't corrode after several years.

7. Reassemble the bridge. Mist the steel parts with a light coat of WD-40 and they'll work nicely indefinitely. Get some new mounting screws and re-install the bridge.

I've done more than a handful of bridges this way and they always come out great. Hope this helps.