1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge Humbucker basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Apr 25, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Slowly, but surely, I've been favoring basses with a bridge humbucker.

I didn't know I had a preference, until every bass I played regularly had one.

Anyone else rocking the humbuckers?:bassist:

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Nope. BUT...I too like humbuckers a lot. If you look at my profile, the ESP F404, Ibanez Iceman, SR900, and ATK (kinda...its a trip-bucker) all were humbucking basses. So I definitely know what you are talking about.

The Sandberg MMJ is giving me GAS too. I'd also like to try a bass with a MM in the neck position just to hear the difference. :)

3. I love the tone that two bridge humbuckers can make like my Sandberg and Sadowsky Metros. Nothing punches thru like them!

4. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    The humbucker bridge on my Warwick it's just perfect! Powerfull!

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    two bridge humbuckers?:confused:

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    [​IMG]

7. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Aren't those soapbars?

...and technically won't only one pickup be the bridge....and the other automatically the neck pickup?

8. this would be semantics my friend.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    those maybe "soapbars" but, humbucking pickups can look like soapbars. that's only the cover. carvin makes the icon series with single coil pickups, but they look like soapbars rather than jazz style pickups.

the front pickup is much closer to the bridge than most other basses with two pickups.

[​IMG]

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Oh. Hmm.....in that case.....every pickup and dual pickup'd bass I've ever used was a bridge pickup. :D

11. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Point proven on the soapbar thing. :)

Front/back : neck/bridge

12. What he was saying is that there isn't a pickup in the true " neck position". Also, soapbar is a shape, not a single coil / humbucking designation. There could be 252 little coils in that shape.

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    yea, that's what i meant. its been a long day. :help:

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Well, in IMO guitar terms......all there is, is neck, middle, and bridge.

After 3 pickups....we can create our own lingo.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Humbuckers are my fave bass pup for both bridge and neck. Especially for bridge. Fuller sound then Jazz pups to me. More like guitar humbuckers actually. P pups being my other fave. Its allways boggle my mind that when most peeps ask about bass pups its as though theyre not even aware of humbucker bass pups. Good grief, theyve been the most common pups on most import basses and a lot of higher end basses too, for at least 2 decades now. It like peeps dont know theres anything besides J or P pups for bass. Even though walking into allmost any guitar store will have mostly or at least half the basses sporting humbuckers.

Yes I love humbucker bass pups best. J or P can work great for neck as a variation from both humbuckers for bridge and neck. But bridge position is diff best to me as humbucker.

16. blackconstant

blackconstant

Sep 15, 2008
    arent P pups humbuckers?

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    LOL!!!

Yeah, it's how they're wired, not the shape/position of the coils.