Bridge install and placement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frisky Dingo, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Frisky Dingo

Frisky Dingo

Jan 14, 2018
    Sorry for how long this turned out...
    I bought a replacement bridge for a newly acquired Univox Hi Flier. The current bridge is suprisingly well intonated but a pretty bad design. The string ball ends jam into the body and the string is pressed against edge of the hole where the string passes through the bridge (photo attached). The previous owner had the back of the bridge Unscrewed a bit as you can see in the picture. The other thing is that the saddles are very close to the back of the bridge when properly intonated so I bought a bridge that allowed the saddles to slide far back as well.
    I'd like to install the new bridge covering the previous holes, but if I have the bridge forward enough to cover the holes I'm not leaving much room for saddle movement. And the further I move the bridge back I will be drilling new holes outside of the original bridges footprint. If I ever sell or replace the original bridge that's not the best. I guess I may have to live with seeing the screw holes. I realize there isn't really a question here I just thought somebody might have a solution I haven't thought about.

Attached Files:

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    1) Use a dremel or drill to raise the holes on your present bridge enough that when the bridge is PROPERLY attached the balls aren't hitting the finish.
    2) That new bridge can be moved back nearly a 1/4" further than in the picture without the old holes showing.
    3) A Fender bent plate, I think. will give you more room to maneuver the new bridge.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. Frisky Dingo

Frisky Dingo

Jan 14, 2018

4. Frisky Dingo

Frisky Dingo

Jan 14, 2018
    Thank you, appreciate the suggestions

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The technically correct way to figure bridge placement is to measure from the edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret, then (with the the G saddle about 3/4 of the way forward on the intonation adjuster) put the G saddle witness point that same distance from the 12th fret. That should give you a good starting point to figure out if this bridge will work for you.

JCooper, sissy kathy and Slater like this.
  6. Frisky Dingo

Frisky Dingo

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The bridge on that bass must not be the original bridge OR it has been moved. That bridge ground wire and hole should be under the bridge plate. not behind the bridge. That explains you intonation problem. someone has put that bridge in the wrong place. Follow @lz4005's advice for correct installation. You can cover the exposed screw holes a variety of ways. Everything from upholstery tacks to a refinish.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. Frisky Dingo

Frisky Dingo

Jan 14, 2018
    Yes, it's odd that it's exposed. I'll remove it. Should solve the mystery.