Bridge Intonation Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass hed, Apr 14, 2018.

1. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    Hey guys first time caller, long time listener..
    Purchased a used Fender PJ bass. Got it all nicey nice, action where I wanted it, intonation was off though. So I was able to get ever string intonated (think that's the correct verbage) except for one. I noticed that the screw is stripped inside the bridge. Can I get some advise on what to do to fix this? thanks in advance.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. The screw for the saddle piece in question?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pic of the bridge and screw in question.

Then we may be able to help find parts or solutions.

bass hed likes this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If the screw is stripped but the saddle's threads are ok you can go to a hardware store and buy the same size screw (the ace hardware in my town has a huge selection of single screws, nuts, and hardware). If the saddle is stripped you'll have to get a replacement . Something like this (please note I don't know if this link is the exact part for your bass, but being a fender it should be easy to find)

Bass Bridge Saddles | Allparts.com

bass hed likes this.
  5. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    I will post some pics in a few min.

6. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    unnamed-1.jpg

7. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    The saddle threads appear in great shape thankfully, just trying to figure out the best way to get it out without screwing anything up lol

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    So only the head is stripped? They make "stripped screw head backer-outers" that ought to do the trick.

bass hed likes this.
  9. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    Ha, I literally googled what you wrote, apparently you can use a rubber band. Got a few of those, gonna try it out. thanks!!

bholder likes this.
  10. Pop the string off, push the screw as far back as you can, and use pliers to unscrew it out, bring it to a hardware store and get a $2 bag of the same screws (generally come with 4-6 in a bag). I’d change all 4 of them, but that’s me.

11. What he said. You should be able to take the string off and push the saddle back enough to grab the head of the screw with something, pliers or even fingers, and unscrew it.

96tbird, Joshua Boucher and bass hed like this.
  12. bass hed

bass hed

Apr 12, 2015
    Lincoln Park
    update: got the screw out. thanks everybody!

Joshua Boucher and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If it stripped while you were adjusting it, the way to avoid that in the future is taking tension off of the string while moving the saddle position. Loosen it, make your adjustment, tune to pitch, check, repeat until it's exactly right. It takes a bit more time but can save you these kind of headaches.

bholder likes this.
  14. Another thing I tend to do, is with some bridges, is that if I find I’m stripping screws a lot, I switch over to Allen screws with the same thread. It works really well, however, once again this is only my opinion.

15. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    Make sure you use the correct size screwdriver.
    If you put the tip of a screwdriver into the slot and there's some 'play' or 'slop' (i.e. it's too small) then that's the wrong one! The tip should fit snugly into the slot and have zero play.
    What you see here is the result of the wrong size screwdriver being used over time. Also don't mistake Pozidriv for Phillips - they look similar but they are not the same.

Slackening the string you are adjusting will reduce the amount of torque needed to turn the screw head also. :thumbsup:

ScrewDevil and Turnaround like this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Those star-shaped screws are a regular pain. There's Phillips, Pozdriv, Frearson, Supadriv, French Recess, JIS B1012 and Phillips2 types. They look similar. But the same driver bit will not work well for all of them. And on top of that, folks often use an under-sized driver for the screws they are driving. As a consequence many screw heads get mangled to the point that they no longer function. And all I can say is to take care that you use the proper driver for the screw at hand.

17. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ...of particular interest is Japanese vs American(?) Philips heads. The Japanese heads have rounder corners where the slots cross and I believe a shallower angle to the slots as well, making driver 'grip' difficult.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  18. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    The replacement intonation screws you seek will depend if they are metric or SAE. If the saddle is not stripped, bring it to the hardware store and fit the intonation screw to be sure it fits proper. If you're in the US and have a hard time finding metric screws that long and thin, check with your local import car mechanics, and ask them where they get metric screws that size.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021