1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bridge issues on P bass Special MIA

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by elwuss, Oct 29, 2013.

1. elwuss

elwuss

Feb 24, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    so, the saddle below E string is dropping as I play every once in a while.

I know there are ways of fixing the problem, but I would rather go with a new bridge because this vintage style Fender is one of the weakest points of my bass (it's Fender P-bass Special, MIA, California series).

what do you recommend?
    I was thinking a Badass bridge.

Good option?

thx.

2. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    I never liked what Badass does to the sound. In my bass I used a drop of rubber glue. Cheapest glue used to fix shoes. It's not hard as SuperGlue, it's more like a yellowish rubber. I can move the screws, but the don't move by itself any more

3. elwuss

elwuss

Feb 24, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I know BA affects the sustain and I don't mind that.
    I'm not into BWA BWA sound.
    more into ZING ZING.

4. Once you set your saddles where you want them, "Lock" the adjusting screws down with clear finger nail polish. That holds them well, is cheap and easily broken loose for readjustment.
    Myself, I put a Badass II on and problem solved. I love 'em. Too bad they are no longer made, but you can still find them sometimes. Pricey now though.

5. elwuss

elwuss

Feb 24, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Badasses are no longer produced?
    didn't know that.

6. If you want sustain, get a Babicz.

7. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Had same problem with two of those "vintage style" bridges drifting down
    Replaced them both with the badass2. Problem solved.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I would just replace the saddles because that sounds like a defect. I've never had a Fender bridge do what is being described. As long as you make sure both screws are at the same height (saddle parallel with the body), they shouldn't move at all.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep. If the bridge is setup correctly, it shouldn't budge. The strings should hold it all in place. That said, if you were to replace it and like the way your bass sounds and feels, go for a threaded vintage style. You can adjust string spacing and the strings will "lock" the bridge. Plus, they take a small screwdriver over an Allen key. I can see how the bridge on the Special would move cuz it's only got one saddle groove and if a saddle drifts its got nothing to hold it secure. BAII's just come with a little more baggage than I like, sometimes necessitating a pocket shim, they're heavier and make the strings feel more rigid. The simple plate/saddle bridge is part of a Fenders design and contributes to the final tone, IMO. If you want something more sturdy, I'd say Gotoh, Wilkinson or a HMV would all likely suit the bass a bit better if you're trying to retain what you like about it.

10. Many here would argue against the concept that the classic Fender bent metal bridge is a "weak link" of any kind. Count me among them.

Changing saddles on a Fender bridge gives you many options.