1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge line to 12th fret = 17 5/8"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassguitarbubba, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I bought a body that someone sanded and it looked like a Fender body. I'm thinking it's not because the neck cavity was too narrow, which I widened. But NOW, when I line up the bridge with the existing bridge mounting holes, the measurement betweeen the bridge line and the 12th fret is 17 5/8 ". I can't move the bridge forward the required 5/8" because the bridge pick up route is in the way. Any thoughts?

By the way, the neck is standard Fender. 17" from nut to 12th fret. Seed attached link for a pic.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/bassguitarbubba/Body.jpg

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Can you make the neck pocket longer?

Dan K.

3. I bought the body already routed because I don't have any power routers at home. I imagine there is a way to make the pocket longer, but I'd need some instruction on how to do it. Plus, since I already had to widen the existing pocket, wouldn't it then be too wide to accomodate the neck taper? I imagine I could put some shims in place.

4. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Maybe the body has designed to take a 21 fret neck but you have a 24 fret neck?
    That would account for both the bridge mount position and the slightly to narrow neck pocket (?)

[edit] Just looked at the pic. Maybe the body was designed for a 20 fret neck. Is that possible? Just thinking out loud [/edit]

5. In looking at the ruler in the pic, the last fret looks to be about 5/8" wide, which is how much I'm over length. My bet is that the body was made to accommodate a 20 fret. Good call! I paid more for the finished neck than I did for the body. I imagine I could try rerouting the pocket, but then getting to the upper fret would be a little stretch, but not impossible.

6. Hi.

An alternative would obviously be to shorten the neck heel, either create a FB lip or just saw it off and round it.

There's no money above 12 th fret anyway ;)

Regards
    Sam

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Since the neck is more expensive than the body, i'd go with modding the body instead of the neck.

And really, just sell the body and buy one that fits. You may get burned but if you don't have the tools its really hard to make something that doesn't work work.

8. noahbass

noahbass

Sep 12, 2008
    guitar builder
    I'm not sure about the details and I don't want to seem snooty but just incase...
    You should be measuring from the saddle, not the bridge holes. Also usually when locating a bridge one adds compensation for string diameter. So while your scale length is 34", the string length from nut to saddle (g string) will be more. I add 3/32" when I layout a bass bridge. Also I would back the saddle up a little as it looks like it's at the end of it's travel. Maybe all this gets you closer to your 17" without doing anything.

9. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I hope it will help you but normally bridge holes are 18" from the 12th fret with fender bridge and 17.75" with hipshot bridges. So your saddles will approximately 17" for the 12th fret...

not sure it answers your questions but that's all i can say regarding your problem

10. I've read all your suggestions and remeasured the body, the bridge, the neck and how they all interact with each other. The best thing I can think to do is to try to make the neck pocket deeper. I will most likely have to shim the sides of the neck pocket to accommodate the now wider pocket width. If this doesn't work, I'll shift to plan "B".

Plan "B"...buy another body from a reputable source.