Bridge match for a Original 62 P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marc H., Oct 10, 2003.

1. Marc H.

Marc H. Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    I have a wonderful Fender "original 62 P" pickup in my deluxe precision special and want to match it with an equally good sounding Jazz bridge pickup. I currently have a Duncan in there that doesn't matcht the P in terms of output.

Any suggestions? Anyone tried a custom shop 60s Jazz pickup...
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Fender Custon Shop '60's J, Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Lindy Fralin's. I personally like the Antiquity p/u's. I A/B'd a set with real 62's and heard little if any difference.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    When it comes to vintage pickup replacements, you couldn't go wrong with either a Fralin jazz or a Nordstrand NJ4. Both are made to vintage specs and are voiced to replicate an early '60s, L-series Jazz Bass. One of these two should do the trick for you.
  4. [​IMG]

Fender Basses have defined the electric bass since its invention. Using ALNICO V magnets and 42 gauge Heavy Formvar wire, they are all hand wound to vintage specifications.J azz Bass -pickups are based on 60´s Fender Jazz Bass -pickups. Tone is strong and powerful, but still transparent and slightly nasal.

* Alnico 5 -magnets
    * Wire: formvar # 42
    * Output: 8 -8,5 K

Lindy Fralin Bass Pickups

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Fralin's are great pickups and if you want to nail the "L" series sound Fralins are it. However, a '62 is not a "L" series. Different methods were used to wind '62's and I found the Antiquity p/u's come closer to the '62 sound.:bassist:
  6. What about a DiMarzio Model J? It has the added benefit of being a humbucker (like the P) so it has no 60 cycle hum. These are fairly high output, also.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Different methods were used to wind every early '60s Fender pickup, as they were all done by hand. When talking about L series basses and vintage Fender pickups, the general frame of reference refers to anything made from the years of 1960 to 1964....or the pre-CBS period. A pickup that uses the same materials and emulates the same production methods (such as a Nordstrand NJ4, Fralin, or Antiquity I), would be great recommendations in this case.