Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge mono overpowering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Feb 9, 2005.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Well, I have received my QSC RMX1450 and Sansamp RBI. At the moment I'll be running through 2 Ampeg cabs (1x15 and 2x10). They are on the ship I play on so I can't try them as yet. Just playing through single crappy Peavey 15 (8ohms 200 watt speaker) at home.

I am interested in bridging the QSC when I pair it with the ampeg cabs but am wondering how easy it will be to blow them up. I'm a little worried but I hear how people do run the power amps bridged mono. I've tried bridging into the Peavey and I get to about quarter level on the QSC before it feels like the speaker is going to disintegrate!

In normal stereo, the RMX1450 will run 450 watts per side into 4 ohms. That would be the perfect match for the power of the speakers (450 watts altogether running at 4ohms) so I will be playing that way for most gigs we do, but outdoor gigs can be a pain powerwise. That's what got me thinking about bridge mono.

Is it a bad idea?

MArk

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think you'll find 450 watts total quite loud.

if the rmx can be safely bridged into 4 ohms you could try it. just do a trial run and pay close attention to when the speakers start to flip out on you.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have an RMX1450, but my preamp is an Ampeg B2R. My cabs are an Ampeg BXT410 and BXT115, both 4ohms. The 410 has an RMS of 600, and the 115 has an RMS of 300.

I played a small outdoor show with this rig about 4 months back, and they performed well. However, I was getting twice the power you will be getting, because I ran them on separate channels at 450Watts per side. The band I'm in now is of the punk rock/Louder Alternative genre... and I'm competing with a Marshall Halfstack... so my situation may be different than yours. However.... when your outdoors, your working with 0 acoustics and the ground (which loves to absorb that tone you churn out).... any which way you slice it.

The BXT115 handles 450Watts like a piece of cake... its right at the halfway point between the RMS and Peak Wattage ratings, and I'm fully comfortable with that. But if you Mono-bridge into your 210 and 115, there'll be about 700Watts going into each cab. In my personal opinion ... that's just too much (proportionally speaking). It's your choice, because its definately possible... but I wouldnt even risk it.

My suggestions:
    -Invest in an Avatar B115 with a Kappa Pro LF, if they still make them, and get an 8ohm version. You could use it at home to replace your Peavey cab, and when you have to play outdoors.... you can mono-bridge it for 900Watts. This cab has a 600RMS, so it wouldnt have a problem at all. And its more than affordable.

-If Avatar is indeed only making the Neo version of this cab, then dont touch it. Not enough handling. Maybe look for a B212. With that cab, you could either run 8ohms bridged or 4ohms bridged... the cab will handle either one. You could also get 2 cabs... if you wanna invest that much.

There's LOTS of brand and cabs that would give you a cable rig for outdoor playing... but I would think that Avatar would be the convenient and cheap solution to your concerns.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If the Ampeg cabs are each 8 ohms, bridging is no problem. Just don't turn the RMX up all the way. I have on many occasions run a PLX3002 bridged into a single Eden 112XLT and it worked perfectly. Turn the knob on the front up slowly and watch the lights. If the red one comes on when you are thumping on your bass, back off.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    anyone who does not bridge mono is a weenie - :p

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

I don't.......are you calling ME a weenie?

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'm not getting involved in this one. The "weinie" issue caused a lot of hurt feelings over on the Combo Amp Megathread. :D

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nah, inside joke from the combo's thread :p

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida