Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge mutes for a Jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I searched the forums and found nothing. I remember someone posting a site with these mutes made for J basses. I know they were on J's a while ago.. but I remember someone reintroducing aftermarket ones.. Help?

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... But I want mutes :crying: .. Maybe I'll ask Hans to make some.

4. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Has anybody ever used one of these bass mutes? I'm very interested in getting one since I do a lot of palm muting when I play with neo soul groups.

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    good god that's funny

6. Foam weather stripping...works for just pennies!

7. 90 bucks for a bass mute when I use an old washcloth. No friggin way.

joe

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, but wash cloths aren't stylin'.

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    they are if they have a nice floral pattern.

10. That bassmute looks like a hella-cool addition to a bass! It would be nice to switch between the tones and not have to palm-mute and try playing with your thumb or something.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Why, they sure are, ma'am! Would you like a tea cosy and crochet handbag to go with that?

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    65 p-bass I just got done servicing had a "foam weatherstrip" type mute from the factory in the ashtray covering the bridge. Non adjustable, on all the time. Except for the foam was 40 year old, shrunk up, rock hard crap. I replaced it with Lowe's storm door sealing, a nearly exact match, and sounds pretty cool if you like it that way...

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    A Strip of sheep skin wool side up works pretty well and it looks kinda stylin.

14. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Ellio Martina is a dutchman and it seems a very effective device. Even Marcus Miller uses it now (or in the past evidently) and became an enthousiastic user of it. Hopefully it works for you too. I use my handpalms for muting... cheaper and effective too. Adjust while playing.. ;)