1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge not straight

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MoonQuake, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    Hi folks,

I just noticed an issue with one of my basses and was wondering what ill effect it can have on the setup or if it's nothing to worry about.

The bridge is not straight. I don't know exactly how to explain this but it's not that it's misaligned but it's at a very slight angle. If I take a ruler and sit it on the bottom of the bridge, it is not parrallel with the strings. Like the bridge is "looking" away from the neck a tiny bit.

Is that something to worry about ?

Thanks!

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Manufacturing tolerance. About the only thing that could affect is the string margin and the most likely thing is that the neck is not straight to the bridge. How is the string margin? Is there an equal distance from the outside strings to the edge of the neck? Picture??

Scatabrain likes this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Curious, what kind of bass is it?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I believe you it seems off BUT of course the strings aren't parallel to the baseplate. The strings aren't parallel to each other because spacing at the nut is smaller than at the bridge. Your methodology is flawed.

Optical illusions happen when you have lines that converge added with an angle (saddle positions) added to a neck that is wider at one end added too....

You are going to have to measure the distance from the last fret to the front edge of the plate to see if. It is real. But only after you ensure the neck (if bolt on) is perfectly aligned.

Play your bass.

lz4005 likes this.
  5. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    If you bridge is alogned correctly and your saddles are sagging - is someone loosens strings and holds bass in playing position, then retighten the strings, this could happen - true story.

So, what remains is what is mentioned above. I had this on a Squier VM from the factory. You could tell the G string was too close to the fretboard. When I posted here it was suggested to align neck and it worked.

Loosen neck bolts a little and pull neck a little (be nice) and voilla. YMMV.

6. The bridge on my recently acquired MIM P bass is very slightly crooked as well. It doesn't affect the spacing or sound at all. I put a bridge cover over it and forgot about it (till now).

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    This is another one of those "It Depends" things. Yes, if it's "not straight" enough, it can cause you all kinds of problems. If the only problem is that just doesn't "look right", and that's what's bothering you - well, that's a problem, but not a functional one. Ideally, the bridge should be perpendicular (and bisected) by a line running down the center of the neck, and the bass itself. And, yes, as 96tbird said, the strings themselves are not parallel to themselves, nor are they exactly perpendicular to the bridge; close, yes, but not exactly. You might try what Scatabrain advised with the neck; or, you might also try loosening the bridge screws (after loosening/removing the strings, of course), and see if there's enough play there to re-orient the bridge to your satisfaction. IME, there's usually enough manufacturing tolerance in most things to tweek them a little...:thumbsup: