1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge/pickup cover effect on tone??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BigDanT, Sep 28, 2013.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I tried to search for any thread on this with no luck. Do bridge or pup covers have an impact on tone or are they more aesthetic? Not including the bridge covers with mutes, of course. If there is an impact, what is it??

2. The only impact on tone is that sometimes covers will force you to play on different areas on the string than usual and the placement of your plucking fingers can affect the tone, (i.e. near the neck will give you bassier tones, nearer the bridge, more treble) but the covers themselves have no direct effect on the tone.

3. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. I wasn't sure. I had read somewhere in TB that pickguards can even have a dramatic impact on tone so I was curious. (Though I'm sure there are others in TB who disagree with that assertion). I happen to love the look of a bridge cover on a PBass but didn't want any unwanted tone impact.

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well, fwiw, I actually did hear a very, very, very slight difference in the sound of my P bass with an ano aluminum guard rather than the plastic one.
    And, I can't stress this enough, the difference was very, very slight. But definitely there.
    And, definitely, nothing that would be audible in a live/band setting.

I don't use covers, though, so, my apologies on that.

5. No impact except in your imagination.

6. Alex_rus

Alex_rus

Sep 12, 2013
    An idiotic creation, really, to add "bling" to the looks of the guitar. Just a awful as fender "vintage" style screw saddles. Better focus on quality control and quality components.