Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge pickup on a p-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Mar 19, 2006.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    so i usually play a p-bass, but for some songs i switch to my jazz just so i can get that bridge pickup pseudo-jaco-imitation tone, but it kinda sucks having to switch basses during shows. anybody have any experience with getting that tone by having a jazz bridge p/u on a p-bass?

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Putting a J pickup in the bridge position of a P bass was a very popular mod back in the day. Now many P/J basses are available. The G&L SB-2 for example. Do a search.
    RD

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My MIA Deluxe P bass can get a jaco-ish tone with the JJ pup soloed.

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    nice. i mean i dont see why it wouldnt sound the same as on a jazz (soloing the bridge p/u that is), i just have never tried it. im thinking of having one added to my MIJ p-bass. do you think this would ruin any resale value it has?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Soloing the bridge pickup will be very very close because it IS a jazz pickup, and in the same position as on a Jazz bass in most cases. Frankly, I believe the only thing stopping it from being spot on is the little bit of interaction between the two pickups.

Just be aware that a jazz pickup in a P-bass will hum, because that will be a third coil. If this is a concern, look for a nice hum cancelling pickup.

6. Now I'm not at all an expert on this topic, but I'd say it really depends on finding a buyer. Most of the time people want it stocked and everything. But you'll have to wait maybe a decade for the value to go up. Putting a mod in there might actually turn a few more people on to the bass (it does for me), while others might say "Oh no, I want it completely stocked." Will it ruin it? I wouldn't say so. Would it lower the resale value? Most likely. For the time being, anyway.

7. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    well it is an '84 MIJ, so it will be considered vintage in a few years and im kind of hesitant to mod it because of that...though having that pickup would rule, for what im trying to do.