Bridge pickup on seventies jazzes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Btone, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Btone

May 5, 2001
    Any Fender-experts out there? I'm considering (or maybe just dreaming of..) a Warmoth-project. A swamp ash jazz, maple/maple or maple/ebony neck, vintage Fender pups, badass and a J-retro - a versatile seventies "Milleresque" thing - and a good slapper.
    Now - I've heard that the Fender jazzes of the seventies had the bridge pickup a little closer to the bridge - giving these axes a brighter sound. Before I place my order at Warmoth I need to know how much closer... Anyone?
    Thank you!
  2. I dont remember exactly how much it was moved back, but I know how you can find out. GO to the FDP and ask in the bass section, I know Mr. Bolton will know the answer, he is a genius at this stuff. I think it was like 1.5 cm or something, but I forget.
  3. For a true '70 experience you should order ash, not swamp ash, add a bound maple fretboard with block markers a pair of decent "old skool" pickups and you're almost there. Chrome pickup covers are of course the icing on the cake...

Bridge pickup placement is somewhere in the 0.5 inch to 1.5 cm region closer to the bridge.