Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge + Pickup (sorry moderator) question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pc, May 20, 2001.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I'm about to build a 5 string from scratch and I have some issues on string spacing and pickup size.

I'm planning to have a MM/P configuration (both Barts) and I dunno witch MM pup will match what bridge. There is 2 MM5 models at bartolini's site:

MM5 - 72MM5E / 72MM5EK (48mm x 101mm)- the "classic" MM pup, with those 2 screw tabs going off.

EBMM5 - 72MV5C / 72MV5CX - (49mm x 112mm) - The Ernie Ball MM5 pupwith the screws "inside" the pup.

Both models hold 72mm string spacing...

I'm about to choose among 3 bridges: Schaller, Gotoh or BadAssII. Would I have any problems with any of those bridges? I know rickbass told BadAss bridges don't adjuts string spacing, but how about the others?

2. Don't know about the pup question but I would venture to guess that if they were made for 5 strings that they would work for yours. It isn't incredibly important that the poles line up perfectly for this type of application.

Of the bridges you've mentioned, only the Schaller has all of the adjustment needed to align the strings over the poles. The roller feature of the Schaller makes it very easy to adjust the string spacing. I swear by these bridges, having them on 2 of my basses. I will also be using these bridges on all of my upcoming constructions.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I think I'm going for Schaller. They have two models:

the well known 3-D5:
    [​IMG]

and the bass bridge 2000:
    [​IMG]
    This one is sort of a new one...I've never seen it. Do you have any info about it?