Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge piece that moves horizontal to string.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Whats the purpose of this piece? Essentially it shortens/lengthens the strings right?

So what is it used for and how do i get it in the right place?

does it have aname that i can search for? I want to learn to setup my own bass

thanks

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If it moves perpindicular to the string, it is for setting string spacing. Not all bridges have this option so I may be thinking about something else. If it moves parallel to the string, it is for setting intonation. This ensures that the notes on the fretboard are in the correct place and are the correct length to coincide with the frets. Try a search on "intonation" and see what happens. Good luck.

3. i believe intonation sounds like the correct answer. The thing essentially makes the string longer or shorter (not wider apart).

Camera battery appears to be dead, I'll post a pick in a bit as soon as its done charging.

I'll do a search now but in the meantime if anyone can tell me how to properly set it that would be cool.... cant all those adjustments be done with string tension? I can tune my bass ok... but there is a ton of buzz eg when i slowly lift my finger of the fret after playing... etc and I have a high action.... the string is vibrating on the fret I'm playing.

4. also there doesnt seem to be much if any tension in my springs.

5. heres the picture, those pink arrows show direction. the pointing up does not mean action, it means across. the surface of the bass. the other arrow points to the spring that has not tension.

I'll check that page out josh thanks

Attached Files:

6. yep gary willis helped thanks :)

7. one more wuestion though....i got it tuned/intonated, but now the bridge saddle is WAY back on just the E string, back almost by my spring arrow, normal?

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Not normal, but not really bad as far as I know. Maybe you should go for a slightly thicker gauge string?

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    If you ever run out of space to intonate a string, try dropping the action a hair. When you fret a string you stretch it a little bit which makes it go sharper than it otherwise would be, lowering your action reduces this effect and makes the correct string length a little shorter.
    Of course action is first and foremost a matter of feel and you should only drop it below what is comfortable if you have to.

10. I think my bridge will be ok, it looks weird but the angle isnt too harsh. I dont think a pic is to necessary for this problem. Thanks guys. My intonation was WAY sharp.