1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge Pin Removal

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GM60466, Apr 25, 2009.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I purchased a Michael Kelly Club Deluxe acoustic bass, and I would like to change the strings that came on the bass. What is the best way to remove those huge bridge pins. On my acoustic guitar string winder there is a notch cut out for removing small pins, but it will not work with the pins on this bass.
    THanks in advance for your suggestions

G

2. Naturally, loosen the string up. I then use a set of wire cutters gingerly underneath the pin and slowly work it out from the bridge (this is usually done with the wire cutters wrapped in a dish towel). There is surely a better tool to use, but that is the one that works for me.

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    IIRC Dunlop makes a bridge pin remover. Not sure if that would work for the size of bridge pins on a bass, but worth a shot. You could bring your bass in to the guitar store and ask if you can try the tool before you buy it.

What I usually do is use pliers to remove bridge pins. I wrap the pins in a cloth and then use the pliers to carefully remove the pin by using a twisting motion and slowly pulling up. Might help to keep some light pressure on the body too. If they won't come loose, I'd absolutely suggest that you take it in to a tech to look at it.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Thanks very much\

G