Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Placement

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I got tired of my strings being hard to push down at the bottom of the finger board so I changed the strings. It still was tough. I loosened the strings and pushed my bridge down a good inch or so and It made a big difference. Today I pushed it down a bit more almost to the sound post level. Is this good? I did noticed I lost about a step and a half on the finger board. This isn't to much of a problem but is the bridge supposed to be near the sound post? or should I pull the bridge up some? Thoughts/advice ect....

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1)Put your bridge back up where it was.
    2)Get your bass and yourself into your car.
    3)Drive to a bass/violin shop and have the crown of the bridge re-cut, or have adjusters installed.

3. 1) The bridge probably was to high
    2) This is chattanooga and all the bass/violin shops are just owned by people who sell cheap crap and don't have a clue what they're talking about.
    3) Thanks anyway. And there are bridge adjusters all the way down.

4. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Moving the bridge around is not the solution... it should sit centered on the notches of the ff hole. How close is Nashvegas?

5. Nashville is more than a 100 miles from here.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    you're not willing to drive 100miles to have a healthy bass?

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    The advice you've been given is sound. Not following it can make your bass problem way bigger than it already is.

The bridge needs to go back where it belongs between the notches on the ff holes. It is not supposed to live anywhere else without a whole mess of other considerations. If it's to high it needs to be cut down.

Its not wise to do that without more understanding of what you are doing than you have demonstrated. Moving the bridge around reveals that you need to learn a great deal more about DB structure and function before you attempt repairs and modifications on your own.

It's not as simple as it appears.

There are many variables to keep in your awareness as you make modification choices. Miss one and you've got to make a new bridge or worse still fix a damaged top.

It is also possible the bridge may be a symptom and not the only problem. A more skilled eye than your own will be essential for that. Cleaning up the damage from doing it yourself without a great deal more study and practice can end up costing you more than you will already spend.

There is very little do it yourself on double basses for the novice.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Today, I will bring two Basses for minor repairs over to Arnolds place. Depending on which way I go, it is either 160 or 180 miles away. I don't mind making the trip at all. I like the work he does and it's best to get things fixed right the first time.

I know it would be better to travel only cross town if possible but if you can make a day of it on the rare occassion you have to, you will do right by your Bass and learn a few things in the process.

9. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I think you should definately take the trip. Your bass needs repairing. I've driven about 250 miles for bass repairs on several occasions. It's just one day!

10. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    I just took a poke in his profile and noticed that he is 16.

It might mean his parents need convincing as they will likely be the ones that need to get him to/from the luthier as well as possibly providing the cash to get the work done.

11. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I know too many people who had done serious damage to their axes by trying to "fix" things themself. I might even be guilty of this myself, maybe, :eyebrow:. Anyhow, I suggest getting it to a pro ASAP. I know I drive a good 4 and a half hours from here to take my bass to Andy Stetson in Cinci. Although it's a long way, it's always worth it in the end. Make a road trip out of it! :bassist:

12. You'd better listen to these guys. Take I-24 to Nashville and take it to Dustin Williams or David Harvey. Dustin's shop is on Music Row and David is located in a little corner of the Gibson Showcase. Both those guys have done excellent work for me. As several have noted, 100 miles to a real luthier is nothing--it is about 150 miles for me to drive.

On the other hand, if you continue doing your own "work" you will soon learn a very valuable lesson.

13. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Just coz he's 16 doesn't mean you have to talk of him in the third person! :rolleyes:

But seriously mcnaire, do whatever you have to do to get your bass to a luthier. It will feels and sound alot better when it's set up right!

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mcnaire, if you're in Chattanooga, you're best bet is to shoot down I-75 and see a luthier on the north side of Atlanta...easy trip. If you want to seriously consider that idea, PM me and I'll give you the name of a luthier.

15. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    mcnaire... you still with us? don't take our razzing personal... we care about basses and bassists. nothing is more frustrating than having a bass you can't communicate with.

16. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    ....hello.....hello.........is this thing on?

......try the veal....

17. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Can you hear me now????????:eyebrow:

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Have your parents read this thread. Now is to most important time to have your Bass in the best working order. As you learn to play the Double Bass, which is not cheap and a lifetime study, your beginning is where the breaking point is. If the Bass is too hard to Play because of the set-up, chances are you will give up trying to learn shortly.

I play on mainly Large 3/4, 7/8 and large 7/8 Basses and all of them are set up to play like butter. Even my 7/8 shen which is a new Bass made in China is a breese to play. Yesterday I drove 322 miles round trip to have my son's 3/4 Shen worked on as Spring Break ends today. I got home about 11pm last night. My wife was nice enough to take the trip with me to keep me company. My Son didn't have the patience as I would spend about 4 hours in the shop as well. In our case (family) the Dad (me) is also a Bass player. Lucky kid, huh?

Tell your Parents that your Bass MUST get fixed by a BASS ONLY Professional to make sure it won't have to be re-done again and pay again as well. I do most of my own Set-up work but some things I just don't have the tools for or the experience doing. My drive was nice and I had a great time as well. You will learn a ton of things if you can hang out in the Shop as he re-cuts and slots the top of your Bridge. Look around the shop and ask questions. That's the best way to learn. My first visit to a Bass Shop was when I was 15 or 16. Changed me for life, and that's the truth!

19. And if all else fails, greyhound round-trip from Chatanooga to Nashville is $41.00 Leaving Chatanooga at 8:30 AM, leaving Nashville at 3:15 PM.