Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge planarity?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TRU, Feb 9, 2004.

1. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Hi guys!
    How high should the bridge be mounted compared to fretboard plane? The distance between bridge saddles and bottom of the bridge is 11mm minimum and my fretboard is 7mm thick (fretless neckthrough, no neck angle). Should I insert the bridge deeper into the body?

2. It's pretty clear that there isn't any one specific answer to this question. All bridges and all basses are different. The combination will determine the spacing. A good rule of thumb is to mount the bridge in such a way that the proper adjustments fall in the middle of their available travel. That way, you are assured of enough adjustment in the future regardless of string brand or action height.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think the question is how high off the body the bridge should be. If that's correct, then I think the answer is basically the same, though - there's several ways to do it. Take a long straightedge and run it from the 1st fret to the bridge saddles with the bridge just laying on the body, saddles all the way down. How much clearance of the straightedge over the 12th fret?

Based on your answer, you may need to cut a recess for the brdige into the body, make a riser for the bridge, shim the neck (bolt-on), cut a neck-step, or cut a neck angle. There really is a handful of ways and it will depend on your bridge and the type of construction you are using.