Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Position Jazz Pup Placement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bizzaro, Aug 10, 2002.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Does anyone have the recommended placement for a jazz pup in the bridge position? I have done a search, gone to the Fender site and can't find the measurements anywhere. I went to my local music shop and even within the Fender line the distance varied considerably. Any info or input welcome. If you take measurments from your own bass, (thank you), please be very specific in your reference points, and model year of your bass.(thank you again.)ie edge of 12th fret towards bridge to first intersecting edge of pup (not the screw tang) Much appreciated:oops: :( :) :rolleyes:

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    on my mexi jazz the distance is 12 1/8 inches. I beleive that is the standard. I know that a lot of 70s jazzes had bridge pups that were closer to the bridge. I beleive the Geddy Lee jazz has that placement, too. The marcus miller bass may, too.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks a ton. I was begining to think no one owned a Fender Jazz..............Yea Right!!!!!!!!! I am confused. Did you mean the Geddy and Marcus bass's are closer to the bridge like the 70's models, or in the same position as your MIM. What year is your MIM? I am also considering the "angled" placement with the G string side further from the bridge. I really would like some input on this as you only get one shot and then you live with it.

I tried to make a template today from plexi glass which is much more brittle than I anticipated. Can anyone suggest a friendlier medium. I can do it with plexi glass, but it will be tedious and time consuming for a one time installation. Any suggestions. Will wood work for a template if I am careful when routing?

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I meant similar to the 70's models. AFAIK, there were only two different placements, but there is a good chance i'm wrong. I'm not sure of the year on mine. It isn't the updated model. It probably is a later 90's one.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks Again. Does your Jazz Bass have a volume knob for each pup or is it a pan-volume-tone set up?

6. I collect bridge placement data in my Reference Spreadsheet under the BASSES tab.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    VVT, but i'm thinking of converting it if there is enough cavity space.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Bruce,
    I can't seem to get your info. I tried the other day and I couldn't download that file. Today is says page not available. I have your site in my favorites I will try it from there. Thanks for your response.

And I think I want to build or put together an amp next:eek: Got any recommendations. It was a thought that passed through my mind on my way home today. Have you done that?

9. My site is alive and well, other than a bunch of power outages yesterday (I live in California).

Single click my signature and it will open a new window and take you to my site. Right click on the item for the spread sheet and "Save Target As"... and it will download.

I think I will probably start putting it into a ZIP file for smaller/safer transmission. My site will have a separate click for the ZIP.

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks again Bruce. It took me a while to sift through but I got the reference sheet you mentioned, and a lot more. Lots of great info. I haven't had a time to work on my bass but will post pics when I am done. Thanks also to POT.

And as usual for me, this just leads me to another question. Jazz basses have two volumes and a tone controll, so why won't it work on my P/ Jazz combo Bruce:confused: It will be the conventional p split with a single Basslines bridge position pup added.

11. You could probably use two volumes and a tone pot on a P+J just fine. You will have to experiment with the correct phasing though. A J pair is typically wound with one Northgoing and the other Southgoing so they act as a hum cancelling pair.

The real issue with a P+J is the significantly higher output from the P pickup. If it were me, I'd use a J-Retro active pickup in a J body. The J-Retro has gain pots that can be adjusted for each pickup to balance their outputs.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you could just lower the p pickup and have the j-pup raised.

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    This is a basslines jazz pup and it is pretty hot. I put it in my Carvin LB70 for a while and it was way way louder than the Carvin Stock. How do you measure output before installation? With an ohm meter?