Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by andvari7, Mar 29, 2005.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    On my bro's 1973 Fender P, the bridge rattles a lot, and when I press the saddles together, things go back to normal. Of course, this isn't supposed to happen. And I thought it was just a fluke, but it's happening to my no-name fretless P-clone (fretless by my hand). What can I do?

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    are the set screws that adjust saddle height tight in the threads and firmly touching the bridge plate on every saddle?

if those are loose, and the bottom of the set screw is not firmly planted on the bridge plate, that could be a cause of the rattle.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    They're all planted firmly to the plate, but the rattle continues. I noticed that on my fretted [bass], there are little channels that the set screws sit in. They don't move side to side, but allow for forward and backward movement. Could that be a solution?

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    foreward and backward are for setting intonation.

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I know that. The bridge on my fretted does not allow for side to side movement, but intonation can be set (and I just did it). What I am referring to is the saddles moving in other directions. Is that a bad thing?

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The rattle could be coming from the springs on the intonation adjustment bolts.