Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone.
    I have a problem with the bridge on my bass. I have no pic, i'm sorry. But I can describe it.

For the G-String Saddle, it seems to be warped? Because there is abour 2 mm between the G and D Saddles. It's not intonation or anything. It's not much of a problem, except I play near the bridge, and when I play the G-string, the saddle moves, causing it to sound out of tune.
    Anyone else have this problem?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender?

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Squier :meh:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Does the whole saddle slide up and down? I don't think it's bent, just a bad design.

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Noo, sorry. It slides side to side. let me try a Diagram.
    All the other saddles' sides are touching eachother, but the G-string isn't touch the side of the D saddle. It's kinda curved down, towards the controls.

6. Sounds like the small screws that elevate the saddles to the correct height aren't at the same level. Someone was probably trying to keep the arch of the bottoms of the strings parallel to the arch of the fretboard and did it this way - wrong. There's no real reason to have the two screws at different heights - if you want the saddle a touch lower simply adjust both screws at the same time. Some people find that adjusting 2 screws a little is harder than twisting 1 a lot. :rolleyes: