Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Jan 24, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have been playing bass for a year now and hadn't ever broken a string untill last month when a broke two string( an A string and then a D.) Im thinking the problem was the bridge and when i took off the strings there were grooves on the action(i think thats what its called.) So i took to my local shop and they sanded it down and put graphite. They said the problem was from popping to hard, but thing is i don't really. What else could the problem be. The first strings were D'addrios flatwound(45-100) then Rotosound Round wounds(45-105)

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i did theere weren't any sharp edges there were some grooves but they were only on the D string and they got sanded down

3. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    The action is the high of the strings from the fretboard, do you mean grooves in the bridge (thingy that the strings go into at the bottom)?

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If I'm understanding your post, it sounds like they actually replaced your nut.

Your bridge is on the body at the bottom. Most likely your strings will break either at the nut or the bridge, since these are stress points.

I don't think your string gauge is the problem. I've broken strings plenty of times, and that's from using a pick way close to the bridge and basically picking very fast and wearing out the string.

Somehow, there must be stress on the strings that your breaking that's more than what the string can handle.

Tell me a few things:

1) What kind of bass is it-not just the name of it, but whether it's an expensive one, american made, etc.

2)what style of music do you primarily play?

3)Where on the bass were these grooves? The action is a descriptive word used to describe how high the strings are from your neck. The parts of the bass that the strings contact would range from the tuner, to the nut, to the frets, to the bridge saddles, to the end of the bridge. Which of these parts were the grooves in?

4)where exactly do the strings tend to break? at the ball end or the tuning end?(at the nut)

This could help explain what's happening to these strings.

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I play a fender squier

the string break at the bridge by the turning edge

the grooves where on the bridge

i don't use a pick often and i f i do its close to the neck

6. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
  7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I have the same problem with the burr's on my bridge saddle (warwick thumb bolt-on) they keep unwinding at the bridge, i change the strings every 2-3 weeks, but im worried about damaging the saddles or the bridge by sanding it down, is it better to sand or to file?

8. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The saddle thtas what its called the string is breaking there

9. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Might want to try some guitar greese, you can get it at stewart macdonald guitar shop, I haven't tried the stuff yet but it seems like it'd help. I would think filing it a tiny bit might help, but you'd need to use a softer file, maybe even sandpaper, so that you don't create a sharper edge than you already have.