Bridge problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smokey, Mar 8, 2004.

1. On my MIM p-bass, the bridge saddle for the E likes to move towards me, ever so slightly when I finger pick. There is also a slight buzz at the bridge when I play on the open E, any ideas?
  2. I have been thinking about a new, better replacement bridge for some time now, possibly badass II or gotoh. But thanks for the fast reply.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I had the same problem, where the saddle would move towards me when I play on the E string. I replaced my bridge with a Gotoh 201. It's a great bridge, and has slots for for the saddle screws, which alleviates the problem. If you have a fretless though, it may take some finagling to get super low action. It is taller than the stock Fender bridge. I got mine for $20 from Warmoth.
  4. I think I have a similar problem with one of my strings on my 4, might see if I can fix that tommorrow.

As for the issues with the bridge saddle, its only moving towards you, not away? What you could try is getting a dremel or equivalent and putting two carefully placed grooves into the baseplate, not too deep, just enough for the height adjustment screws to sit in. Thats what one dude told me to do with my 5er, which I haven't done, I just left it pretty much and its not that bad.

How hard are you playing? If its a real problem you might be going it a little hard with your plucking, the saddle on my 4 moves around a little if I really dig in but you shouldn't really need to.

Josh D