Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge PUP not working on my 4001

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by echo008, Sep 19, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Guys, I also posted this over on the RIC forum, but wanted to get more input.
    The Bridge PUP cut out on my 4001, while playing in the studio a little while back, I am going to have to take it in to get fixed.... but, does anyone have any pointers as to what I might look for or what might be the cause of this? there is nothing obviously wrong in the cavity or with the wiring harness I looked for any unconnected wires and anything obvious.

could it be that the PUP is totally Dead?

any comments are appreciated
    thanks
    - Tom

2. Was it working and then just cut out? I've read a couple of posts about RIC owners having p'up problems.

You didn't accidently plug into the stereo rick-o-sound jack instead of the mono jack?.. Just a thought.

Mag...

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, It was working fine, it just cut out in the studio one night and has not shown any signs of life since, I have tried poking around a little bit but I really do not know what Im doing I figured I would look for anyting really obvious but .....

I know not to plug into the ric O sound to run mono, I thought of that as well.
    - Tom

4. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I've owned two 4001's and I've had that happen on both. My problem was the toggle switch contacts. Sometimes cleaning them will help.

Bill

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have heard this might be the problem as well,
    can you tell me what I would clean them with? As well I am assuming you are referring to where the switch touches on either side of it, as the contacts?
    thanks
    - Tom

6. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I'm not a bass tech, so proceed with caution!!!
    Use a meter to check the contacts, make sure the legs haven't been bent so that they don't touch anymore. If the physical contact is good, use contact cleaner.
    If your still having problems and feel brave, I have polished between the contact legs using very fine grit emory paper.

Bill