Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge question!!! **HELP**

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaracasBass, May 13, 2005.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Few days ago my Fender P-bass started to make a HUGE ground noise during a rehearsal with my band. After looking into the control cavity I found the bridge´s ground cable lose.

So now I´ve to unscrew all 5 screws that attach the bridge to the body and solder the cable back to where it belongs.

I´m good with soldering jobs, but taking off the bridge is making me a little bit nervous.

Any thoughts/advice welcome!!!!

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Not at all, it´s a regular BADASS II. Maybe I´m a little nervous because it will be the first time I take off a bridge in one of my basses and were looking for advice.

Thanx Josh!!!

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I was checking every single ground cable, and discovered that the one that came from the bridge, as you mention, was free, unsoldered. So when I play, touch the strings, or the bridge, the ground noise is still there.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Now I understand what you mean!!! (since english isn´t my main lenguage, sometimes I have to read things more than once to get the idea :rolleyes: )

OK, if that cable is not attached to the bridge, where it was attached first? Is the BA II bridge over the body, attached with 5 screws, or it has some cavity under it?

(I´m confused now)

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok people. After taking off the bridge, I saw a small hole where the ground cable conects with the bridge. I pulled out a little the cable so it can make contact again with the bridge and put the BadAss in place.

It worked, and no soldering was needed, as Smash said. I think the next step is make a nice shielding work to the control and pup cavities, since the bass has some noise when you´re not touching any metal part of it.

Thanx for your help and patience.

Ignacio.