1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge question!!! **HELP**

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaracasBass, May 13, 2005.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Few days ago my Fender P-bass started to make a HUGE ground noise during a rehearsal with my band. After looking into the control cavity I found the bridge´s ground cable lose.

So now I´ve to unscrew all 5 screws that attach the bridge to the body and solder the cable back to where it belongs.

I´m good with soldering jobs, but taking off the bridge is making me a little bit nervous.

Any thoughts/advice welcome!!!!

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Not at all, it´s a regular BADASS II. Maybe I´m a little nervous because it will be the first time I take off a bridge in one of my basses and were looking for advice.

Thanx Josh!!!

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I was checking every single ground cable, and discovered that the one that came from the bridge, as you mention, was free, unsoldered. So when I play, touch the strings, or the bridge, the ground noise is still there.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Now I understand what you mean!!! (since english isn´t my main lenguage, sometimes I have to read things more than once to get the idea :rolleyes: )

OK, if that cable is not attached to the bridge, where it was attached first? Is the BA II bridge over the body, attached with 5 screws, or it has some cavity under it?

(I´m confused now)

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok people. After taking off the bridge, I saw a small hole where the ground cable conects with the bridge. I pulled out a little the cable so it can make contact again with the bridge and put the BadAss in place.

It worked, and no soldering was needed, as Smash said. I think the next step is make a nice shielding work to the control and pup cavities, since the bass has some noise when you´re not touching any metal part of it.

Thanx for your help and patience.

Ignacio.