Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge question, please help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by newbass, Mar 4, 2004.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm having a local luthier make me a six string bass, and I just ordered an AERO K6jb type 4 phc (six string bass) pickup with 17 mm string spacing. The problem is that I can't find any brass bridges with similar spacing.

Do you know any nice brass bridges with 17mm or slightly greater, that would work well? I won't have too much nut versus bridge spacing difference. Also, do you know anywhere where I can get a good brass nut with these dimensions?

Thank you. Please respond..you're my only hope :)

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    They are individual bridges for each string. Space 'em how you want 'em. I tried some on a 4 string with 2 1/4" spacing. I could have used a regular Fender style bridge, but I like the combination of rigidity, thin bottom plate, brass construction and locking saddles the ABM's have. The strings don't seem to have dead spots like on a regular bridge.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Hipshot makes one. You can get brass nut blanks at AllParts.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Any particular reason why you didn't just add to your other thread to say that you changed your mind, and it's 17mm instead of 16mm? This is assuming, of course that this is the same bass.

The Hipshot A, as discussed there, should have a model for you.

Note: you seem to be doing quite a bit of cross-posting. Better whtch out before the mods get pissed.