Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge question?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stroy05, May 12, 2001.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have a Zon 5 string that has a Hipshot style B bridge. I am having to raise the saddles as high as they can go for the right setup. The string hight is very low. Is this a problem?

What I am wondering is if there is a bridge that I can get so the saddles are not so high. Maybe the hipshot style A or a ABM bridge or some other bridge?

2. Hi, im not familiar with the zon, but if it is a bolt on neck, sounds to me like it needs the neck adjusted (or shimed) in relation to the body. That is tilt the neck up to raise the strings higher from the frets, then you can bring the strings down again to were you want them with the bridge. Of coarse pup hight, tunning and intonation and truss rod will all have to be readjusted. There is a website with instructions, but i cannot remember the address, maybe somone else does.
    good luck
    eddie

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Get the neck checked, like he said. Even if the neck is the problem, I'd still put an ABM bridge on it. They're pretty killer. They make spacings for just about anything (plus, they're adjustable). I believe the widest is 22.5mm...and Zons aren't anywhere near that!

BTW, if you still don't like it...I'll take one. :D

4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    The spacing that is on there at the bridge is 19mm. Where can I get a ABM bridge from. I want it in black.

How does it compare with the Hipshot type A bridge? What is the cost on a ABM 5string 19mm spacing?